Jail: [EFAULT] Stopped jail due to VNET failure after upgrade to 11.3

xTitus Maximusx

Dabbler
Not sure what happened here but, after upgrading to 11.3 from 11.2 my jails will not start. the gui doesn't give me a lot of error messages and just says

Code:
Jail: [EFAULT] Stopped jail due to VNET

if you pop open the shell on the freenas box and run "iocage start jail" I get this error

Code:
root@freenas:~ # iocage start jail
* Starting jail
  + Started OK
  + Using Devfs_ruleset: 6
  + Configuring VNET FAILED
  route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
Add net default: gateway 192.168.9.1 fib 0: Network is unreachable

Stoppped jail due to VNET failure

if you select the DHCP option it will start with no problems.

Any idea on how what is going on here?

Last edited:

hervon

Patron
Reported. Searched ?

chelby

Dabbler
I'm actually having similar issues with the upgrade to 11.3. Everything was fine and dandy in 11.2 but when I switched to 11.3 the networking for my iocage jails stopped working, and I got the same errors. I tried a fresh install of 11.3 and now I can't even create iocage jails with vnets or DHCP. I can only create jails with a static IP. I've searched and tried every suggestion out there. It has nothing to do with broken mount points or enabling vnet in the jail.

Were you able to find any solution?

Kcaj

Contributor

RSVP

Explorer
Add me to the list. My older jails are fine. Just anything new I make has vnet failure.

Ki11ag0ri11a

Cadet
Add me to the list. My older jails are fine. Just anything new I make has vnet failure.
I'm trying to help. I have solved this issue on my end and want to see if you guys are having the same issue.

Please post the output of:
iocage list

chelby

Dabbler
Can you please post the output of:
Code:
iocage list

So I actually figured out a solution with much troubleshooting, and the resolution was deceptively simple. It seems that the UI is strangely bugged in the new version. Either that or someone failed to document the proper jail network configuration/setup.

When I create simple a jail with:
  • DHCP - Off (Static IP)
  • NAT - Off
  • VNET - On
  • BPF - On
  • Everything Else - Default Settings
You must leave the interface option blank (at least in my case). If you select any interface, the installation will fail and provide a VNET Failure. Once the jail is installed (interface option blank) everything works fine, even though an interface is not listed in the UI. I'm not sure if leaving the interface blank is intended as an "automatic" setup or not. If so, why was it not documented, or just simply labeled "automatic." If it was not intended, then it would seem to be a bug.

Working Config.png

Below is the iocage list you requested. However, there were no jails at the time of me making my original comment, I was not able to create any. I had a fresh install, straight out of the box for troubleshooting this issue. I had been having this issue after upgrading and none of my old jails worked anymore, so I just did a fresh install and started from scratch, and still had the same problem.

root@freenas[~]# iocage list +-----+--------------+-------+--------------+----------------+ | JID | NAME | STATE | RELEASE | IP4 | +=====+==============+=======+==============+================+ | 7 | RTMP | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.1.7/24 | +-----+--------------+-------+--------------+----------------+ | 8 | emby | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.1.4/24 | +-----+--------------+-------+--------------+----------------+ | 9 | sickchill | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.1.8/24 | +-----+--------------+-------+--------------+----------------+ | 4 | transmission | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.1.5/24 | +-----+--------------+-------+--------------+----------------+

It seems that this may not be the only bugged part of the jail setup UI either. Different network configurations for DHCP and NAT also have similar issues that I ran into while troubleshooting, but I don't personally use those configurations. I think someone from the dev team needs to run through each network configuration on a bench box to reproduce and witness the various issues. I know other people have put in bug reports so I won't make redundant ones unless requested.

chelby

Dabbler
DHCP Seems to be working properly with the following configuration upon further testing. This is for the creation of a new jail in 11.3. This configuration did not work properly for the jails that were created when I had 11.2 and failed when upgraded to 11.3. Something in the update bricked the network config in those jails and starting over was the only option for me.

DHCP Config.png

Ki11ag0ri11a

Cadet
root@freenas[~]# iocage list
+-----+--------------+-------+--------------+----------------+
| JID | NAME | STATE | RELEASE | IP4 |
+=====+==============+=======+==============+================+
| 7 | RTMP | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.1.7/24 |
| 8 | emby | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.1.4/24 |
| 9 | sickchill | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.1.8/24 |
| 4 | transmission | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.1.5/24 |
[/CODE]

You must leave the interface option blank
That's a nice and easy solution which I can't try because everything is already fixed on my end.

What I was seeing with existing jails that had this issue was that instead of CIDR notation like yours above "192.168.1.7/24" I'd see just the IP address "192.168.1.7"

I then would first configure the GUI, then at cli:
Code:
iocage set ip4_addr=192.168.1.7/24 $jailname

After that the jail would start up correctly.
Code:
iocage start $jailname

Then inside the jail with a text editor I'd comment out the following from /etc/rc.conf
Code:
#ifconfig_epair0b="SYNCDHCP"

Otherwise the interface would have two IP addresses, one static and one pulled from DHCP.

chelby

Dabbler
Before I started fresh, my jails did have the subnet listed, but still failed to start. I actually did manually set everything in the CLI using the same command you did just incase with no luck.

11.3 is definitely borking people's network configurations in strange ways. I hope they roll out a patch in the future.

Ed Moore

Cadet
I just encountered this problem. It was resolved by removing the IPv4 interface ( setting it to ----- ) and setting the subnet mask to 24. Prior to this change the IP of the jail was listed without the subnet mask on the summary. After the change I see the subnet mask and the jail starts.

chelby

Dabbler
Yeah not sure if it's a bug or if it is intended to be an "automatic" selection mode.

klhurley

Cadet
Yep, having this problem with upgrade to 11.3. My two jails that are still using 11.2 still work. For some reason you cannot set static IP addresses as it tries to reach the gateway, which for some reason it cannot. I think Ki11ag0ri11a is on to something. I have a netmask of /20, so that isn't probably being added correct to the iocage configuration.