I've forgotten, was there a new plugin system coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I think I read somewhere, we're going to get a new, improved, plugin system which will still use jails or something (so low overhead) but more compatible with umm a wider varierty of plugins?
PLUS the docker / VM solution (eventually)?

Is that right? After dabbling with the VM functionality on my server, with 16GB of memory, I simply can't do docker work on this machine, ever I suspect. I'll need to wait at least 12 to 24 months until I have ridiculous money for a proper, powerful server.

What's the new plugin thing, will it be compatible with old plugins and is there a potential list of plugins available once it goes live.
*ASSUMING* I'm not entirely wrong, of course.

Thanks

diskdiddler

Wizard
If I'm seeing that list correctly, currently looks like the same group, is that right?
Is there any performance benefit, or impact? 11.1 or later?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Old plugins are not compatible. iX has a few plugins ready to go/in the works (the few most common things people seem to use with FreeNAS), but the system itself is still in a state of lack of documentation.

I'd recommend piecing together information from the iocage documentation with what is known about how FreeNAS implements this stuff.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is there any performance benefit, or impact?
No, the underlying jails are unchanged (well, they benefit from generic FreeBSD improvements over the years). It's just the jails manager which is being replaced.

Warden should still be functional in the old GUI, for now, while iocage operates exclusively in the new GUI.

diskdiddler

Wizard
That's useful information, sounds like I need to be patient and wait.
One last thing, does it open the ability to port more / better plugins, easier at least?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Iocage is said to be much easier to use to put together scripts to generate plugins, so that's probably "yes".

Status
Not open for further replies.