It is possible to rebuild RAIDZ without config file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Helo, a hypotetic question.

It is possible to rebuild (or somehow save data) the RAIDZ1 (5disks for example) if the flash drive with OS DIE and there is no config file backup?

yeah, the information is stored on each disk of the pool.

Each disk contains information about which pool it belongs to and how it belongs to it. if the worst happens and you loose the config, you will simply tell the system to detect and import the pool.

jenksdrummer

Patron
Helo, a hypotetic question.

It is possible to rebuild (or somehow save data) the RAIDZ1 (5disks for example) if the flash drive with OS DIE and there is no config file backup?

I just put a new USB Flash drive in my system tonight after making a backup copy of the data on my ZFS RAID-Z1 array via a Windows system with a large external HDD attached. I didn't make a backup config (oops!).

I installed FreeNAS 8-Release (same version I was using before) on to the new USB drive, and then logged into the web GUI...and used the ZFS importer...worked like a champ - the ZFS array and the pools all showed up without any trouble and after I got CIFS configured and the shares created, all my data was there and intact.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Excelent, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.