Issues with this error - freenas kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffff801c8f631d0: Listen queue overflow

Noctrin

Dabbler
Feb 27 17:07:09 freenas kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffff801c8f631d0: Listen queue overflow: 151 already in queue awaiting acceptance (12 occurrences)
Feb 27 17:08:29 freenas kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffff801c8f631d0: Listen queue overflow: 151 already in queue awaiting acceptance (2 occurrences)
Feb 27 17:09:58 freenas kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffff801c8f631d0: Listen queue overflow: 151 already in queue awaiting acceptance (3 occurrences)

I've been having this for a while since 11.1 I think. It will go away after a server restart and be fine for a few weeks. I have tried looking at incoming connections and i don't see anything out of the ordinary, i also don't fully understand how to properly debug this. I googled furiously and followed a number of threads on similar issues, but i cannot get to the bottom of it. Here's hoping someone can help me with this.

Hardware:
Dell R510
2 x 8 core Intel
32GB Ram
1 Nic (onboard) connected to network (2nd port available)
1 VM running ubuntu and zoneminder, nextcloud and pi-hole -- other than nextcloud nothing is open to outside.
4 Jails: 1 for plex (open) 1 for radar, sonarr..etc, 1 jail for grafana and a few other monitoring tools and 1 jail for deluge

FreeNas 11.2 (Stable)

Probably running a few other things as well.

I can't say i see any errors or any abnormal behavior when these messages start and i can't seem to find a trigger for them. They just seem to randomly start and will not go away, even if i start turning off the VM or jails. After a reboot all is well for a few weeks.

Any help appreciated, thank you!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I get that error on a system with 128GB of RAM.

I get it fairly regularly, but can't put it together with anything that's an actual problem.

I tried in the past in another thread to work on tunables to increase the queue length, but even massive increases there didn't make a difference at all.

I stopped worrying about it.

Noctrin

Dabbler
I get that error on a system with 128GB of RAM.

I get it fairly regularly, but can't put it together with anything that's an actual problem.

I tried in the past in another thread to work on tunables to increase the queue length, but even massive increases there didn't make a difference at all.

I stopped worrying about it.

I'm upgrading my Dell R510 with a thinkserver RD450. Once i do, if the error persists, I can at least say with decent confidence the issue is software related.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm upgrading my Dell R510 with a thinkserver RD450. Once i do, if the error persists, I can at least say with decent confidence the issue is software related.
I already saw the problem on a completely different mobo and NIC combination, so already confirm it's something to do with software.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Oops, I posted a response to the wrong thread here... sorry, have removed it now.

Last edited:

Noctrin

Dabbler
did you manage to find the device id causing the buffer overflow, in my case, i cannot find "0xfffff801c8f631d0" listed anywhere. I assume it's virtual but i have no clue where it gets it from.

Other thing i can think of is we figure out what we're both using, find the overlap and maybe it will point something out. I'm fairly out of ideas, but as you said, it doesnt seem to cause any problems for me either, so i might just forget about it.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
No, I could never find a still-running process to match to the error.

Dudleydogg

Explorer
The Error message is caused by ZoneMinder, did you guys ever resolve this? Kind of a pain to reboot the Plugin on daily basis.

sretalla