Issues mounting NTFS volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS601

Cadet
Okay, I know it's not a new thing. Yes, I know I should search the forums and Google - by holy God, I did.

Hey all,

So I've just upgraded to the most recent FreeNAS (8.0.4, I believe it is?). I'm having trouble mounting NTFS volumes via the GUI, though, getting the error that FreeNAS cannot label the disk.

It's all fine, I Googled the problem and saw that I should do the mount -uw /, copy the fuse.ko into the kernel folder and it'll all be dandy.

Except that apparently I have no /usr/local/modules folder, hence I have no file to copy.

Okay, digging a bit deeper, I found that it's possible that FUSE is loaded via /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fusefs. All nice and sweet, except that when I'm trying to start it, I get the messasge that fusefs_enable is set to NO (screaming NO that is). That's quite strange, since I went through both /usr/local/etc/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf and set the fusefs_enable to YES in both.

After tinkering for a couple of hours, I'm pretty much lost, particularly since I'm no FreeBSD guy.

Any ideas?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi TS601,

The problem with loading the Fuse module was fixed in 8.03, so that should be the problem. You should be able to do "kldstat" and see it loaded. The labeling the disk error is another of those strange ones. You can try doing a "chkdsk /f" OR "chkdsk /r" on the disk and then try importing after. I prefer the "/r", but its more thorough and takes longer.

Make sure when you remove the disk from Windows, you do the "Safely Remove" thing if it's a USB disk or you may end up with the same problem.

That's about all I can suggest trying.

TS601

Cadet
Got it!

(goddammitt, over three hours I'm working on it...)

@protosd: Your suggestion gave me the solution. The NTFS volume was good, but the disk had an MBR instead of a GPT. Apparently, that is what makes the difference. Thanks a lot, mate!

P.S.: Yes, indeed, FUSE is running.

ProtoSD

MVP
Glad you got it, you also shared an interesting piece of info about GPT. It will work with MBR, but it's interesting that changing it to GPT got it to work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.