Issue with "Modified" timestamps on Windows file copy

PeterB0256

Cadet
I just solved my problem. I copied and replaced the originals with the two updated files using WinSCP as root user. Ran
"service smbd onerestart". It was still not copying files with the correct timestamps. I looked at the VFS Objects and I had removed ixnas yesterday. I put it back and now the timestamps are correct upon copying files.
VFS Objects:
ixnas,streams_xattr,zfs_space,zfsacl with the new files.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Another question. I have 18 10tb drives to set up in Freenas. I was considering a ZFSRaid2 with hot spare, zfsraid3 or zraid3 with hot spare.
I then read not to put that many drives in one vdev. What would be best. I am only going to use the server for storage of our camera RAW Files to read and work on in Lightroom and Photoshop. Nothing else.
Machine stats:
intel i7 6850k cpu with 128 gb RAM
18 10tb WS Red drives with an LSI 9300-8i Controller into an intel port expander.
Suggestions and comments?

I replaced ixnas.so and zfsacl.so in the /usr/local/lib/shared-modules/vfs directory with the patched ones and rebooted the machine.
Timestamps are still wrong ....

One step I did not understand !?

What do you mean with "I looked at the VFS Objects and I had removed ixnas yesterday" ..... ?
Did you delete the ixnas.so file in the /usr/local/lib/shared-modules/vfs directory ?

And what do you mean with
" VFS Objects:
ixnas,streams_xattr,zfs_space,zfsacl with the new files. "

Which new files, the patch has only "ixnas.so and zfsacl.so"

Thanks for your help to solve this issue !

Jeff Faber

Cadet
The "VFS objects" is a setting on the SMB share. Need to click "ADVANCED MODE" button to see it. From my limited experience/testing, the patched files only help the problem if ixnas is included. That might be dead wrong, but it worked for me.

vfs.jpg

supercoolfool

Dabbler
Your solution is ... that I pay the company that pushed the broken update. And left it up. It's still up.

Man, talk about picking the wrong time to rebuild your NAS...sigh. I'm sure like many others here I had some time on my hands and figured it was time for some much needed housecleaning. I was starting over from scratch and I didn't notice until the 2nd day of loading data back on....ugh. Debating on implementing the fix or dropping back to 11.2 before reloading all data...again.

crlorentzen

Cadet
We are a couple of weeks out from U2 going live. I am attaching replacement VFS modules for 11.3-U1 to this post. It should contain ixnas.so and zfsacl.so. This files apply to samba 4.10.12 (you can first validate the samba version by running the command "smbd -V").

How to apply:
1) extract the zipped files
2) clone your boot environment (so that you have a backup)
3) copy the extracted files (ixnas.so and zfsacl.so) to /usr/local/lib/shared-modules/vfs
4) restart SMB service service smbd onerestart

Worked great! Thank you!

editor0range

Cadet
Hi,

I just finished the file copy process and saw the timestamps within a file (created, modified, accessed) are all the same.
Well I don´t get why this U1 update doesn´t get pulled from the download page since new FreeNAS users like myself will run straight into that issue which people at the development team know about already since weeks according to that workaround post. Or did I do something wrong at the setup?

Am I right that I have to get an iso of 11.3-RELEASE and install it from scratch including copying all the data again from the backup? Because that workaround (replacing that 2 files and restarting SMB service) is only affecting newly copied files and not giving me back old "modified" timestamps - correct?

Thanks for clarification!

amp88

Explorer
Hi,

I just finished the file copy process and saw the timestamps within a file (created, modified, accessed) are all the same.
Well I don´t get why this U1 update doesn´t get pulled from the download page since new FreeNAS users like myself will run straight into that issue which people at the development team know about already since weeks according to that workaround post. Or did I do something wrong at the setup?
You didn't do anything wrong, and they should pull the update. The fact they haven't speaks volumes about the level of support.

Am I right that I have to get an iso of 11.3-RELEASE and install it from scratch including copying all the data again from the backup? Because that workaround (replacing that 2 files and restarting SMB service) is only affecting newly copied files and not giving me back old "modified" timestamps - correct?

Thanks for clarification!
Correct. In order to get back the correct/original file date metadata you'll have to get a working configuration of FreeNAS (either by downgrading to 11.3-RELEASE or by manually patching 11.3-U1) and restore your files from backup. That's the official solution, and yes, it's terrible. Join the club.

editor0range

Cadet
You didn't do anything wrong, and they should pull the update. The fact they haven't speaks volumes about the level of support.

Correct. In order to get back the correct/original file date metadata you'll have to get a working configuration of FreeNAS (either by downgrading to 11.3-RELEASE or by manually patching 11.3-U1) and restore your files from backup. That's the official solution, and yes, it's terrible. Join the club.

Any other known issues I should be aware of?

A word to the developers and mods of this forum: Shit happens. I am glad this software is free though. But please think about what it looks like to potential users considering switching to FreeNAS if they research your forum before migration, not to mention everybody who is using it already.

editor0range

Cadet
funny! as we speak, there is the 11.3-U2 update waiting inside the update tab on my freshly installed 11.3-RELEASE freenas server now - but not on the website :-D

oh well...

kiriak

Contributor
same here, in my test machine
looks it is OK now
(trying to find out if I'll go with FreeNAS or stay with Synology for my home setup)

Calleng

Cadet
Can anyone confirm that upgrading from a patched version of U1 to the newly released U2 version of FreeNas will work correctly with the timestamps and not introduce other problems?
I have a photography business and the correct timestamps are crucial.

cmdrwgls

Cadet
Have tested, 11.3U2 fixes the issue. I updated from 11.3U1 WITHOUT the patch installed, for those who are asking.

God I wish iXsystems had their act together, because FreeNAS is such a lovely product. Anyway, the results of my last few weeks of testing might be useful to someone. I'm focusing on the automatic snapshot functionality here since that's why everyone's in this thread:
  • XigmaNAS offers similar functionality, but automatic snapshots can't be configured through the GUI. You have to SSH in, install zfsnap2 and setup cron jobs. No notion of how reliable XigmaNAS updates are, just tested it long enough to know they've got some interface work to do.
  • Debian - I trust Debian not to hose a system with updates, when they say stable they mean it. No GUI, or at least none that are NAS-centric. Snapper.io can handle automatic snapshots, but configuring it the first time takes some reading. Btrfs isn't as feature complete as ZFS, but I've been using it for network attached storage for ... a long time now. A decade maybe? Never an issue.
    • Don't use btrfs parity striping! The btrfs devs claim the parity problems have been fixed, but it has NOT been thoroughly tested yet.
  • OpenMediaVault - Debian preconfigured to act as a NAS, admin is all done through a web GUI. I've tried a few versions of this over time and I like it less than just setting up the Debian through SSH. My bias against OMV has more to do with my familiarity with Debian than anything OMV is doing wrong. Didn't stick with it long enough to test snapshotting, it may allow you to set it up through the GUI, but if not it can run on ZFS with zfsnap2, or btrfs with snapper.io.
  • Proxmox VE - runs on top of ZFS, zfsnap2 will work. Not the right choice for a NAS.
  • Tried a handful of other NAS distros, none of them seemed to compare.
Bottom line, if I trusted iXsystems FreeNAS would have no real competition. But at the end of this month, Ubuntu 20.04LTS should ship with first-class ZFS support ... something else to test.

Calleng

Cadet
I tested the u2 update on my backup server Thursday 4-9. I had previously patched this server to fix the filestamps issue. I had no problems updating and everything seems to be work well with the timestamps. I then applied the update to my main photo storage server with no issues to date. The files seem to copy with no issues. I am thinking about setting up link aggregation with the 2 10gb intel x520 cards in the backup server to test. I tried this about 6 months ago and had no luck. Any suggestions. We have 4 people running Lightroom and photoshop with the files residing on the FreeNAS server. All I use the server for is storage of our RAW Camera files and the processed JPGs. Any suggestions?

Redcoat

MVP

LMB

Dabbler
I tested the u2 update on my backup server Thursday 4-9. I had previously patched this server to fix the filestamps issue. I had no problems updating and everything seems to be work well with the timestamps. I then applied the update to my main photo storage server with no issues to date. The files seem to copy with no issues. I am thinking about setting up link aggregation with the 2 10gb intel x520 cards in the backup server to test. I tried this about 6 months ago and had no luck. Any suggestions. We have 4 people running Lightroom and photoshop with the files residing on the FreeNAS server. All I use the server for is storage of our RAW Camera files and the processed JPGs. Any suggestions?

I tried link LAGG with 4x1Gbit and it works. But after doing some reading, I gathered LAGG will only allow 1Gbit x4 connections. Also, I found out it is a way easier to set up LAGG through shell rather then GUI.

Anyway, it did not cost me a lot to get this set up, so I won't complain. Pity however it did not work as I expected.

However when you look online, even Linus, shows LAGG working well but with Windows.

rmalbers

Cadet
Ok, I'm glad I ran into this! I installed freenas for the first time and ran into this 'issue' and assumed that it was working (poorly) like this by design. Actually, I'm glad it's a bug but VERY surprised this got thru any testing done. Once I get this issue fixed I don't think I'll install any updates for a long time, LOL! It really screws up photo storage that's for sure!