Issue while creating a pool

sachins129

Cadet
Hello,
I am new to freenas O.S. I have installed freenas on a server on 3.5 T.B hard disk and have added one more drive on the server with the same capacity. when I access freenas by browser it shows me both the hard disk under storage option but when I try to create a pool the hard disk contain O.S is not available. I need to create pool with merging both the hard disk.Please help. As there is no more slot left in server to have one more HD mounted neither I could invest a 3.5 TB hard disk just to install server.
How can i create pool using both the H.D. Is it possible to share the same drive in pool which contain O.S. if yes how could we do that. Is there a concept of creating LVM in freenas so I could keep the O.S on one partition and remaining could be used to create a pool.Kindly help. its urgent.ada0 is the one contains O.S which is shown in screenshot.but while creating pool the available disk shown is only ada1

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 224

garm

Wizard
You need a dedicated boot device. What kind of hardware has only two storage slots?

danb35

Hall of Famer

sachins129

Cadet
Ok . i got your point.What could be the possible solution for this issue.as i want to use both my hard disk as a storage and need to install os in one of them.Please share any way you have as an option. if its beyond freenas then also do let me know. Is there any other possible alternate of freenas wherein this issue doesn't occur

danb35

Hall of Famer
i want to use both my hard disk as a storage and need to install os in one of them
Then you'll need to use a different storage OS. FreeNAS by design keeps the OS separate from the data.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Which is a really really really important feature
...and what makes the incessant threads of "my boot device died, what happened to my data?" kind of frustrating--why do they think the devices are separated this way?

pschatz100

Guru
Ok . i got your point.What could be the possible solution for this issue.as i want to use both my hard disk as a storage and need to install os in one of them.Please share any way you have as an option. if its beyond freenas then also do let me know. Is there any other possible alternate of freenas wherein this issue doesn't occur
I don't see any description of your hardware. What kind of system allows only two storage devices?