Issue installing Plex; Message: pkg.FreeBSD.org could not be reached via DNS

curly

Cadet
I have the same issue. I newly install a new system with FN 11.3-u2.1 . Manually ping pkg.FreeBSD.org in NS shell is fine, manually create a new jail is also fine, but when I try to install plugin (any of them) , I got the same result. Double check ethernet IP and DNS setting and looks OK.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Make sure you have your dns sever set in your jail config.

curly

Cadet
In V11.3-U2.1 , it only have Global network DNS setting. In Plugin--> install-->Jail Properties, I cannot find the DNS setting. Any idea?
FN01.png

FN02.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Yorick

Wizard
It doesn't look like you even gave your jail an IP

He's using NAT, which gives me the heebie-jeebies, seriously. Trust me, I'm a network professional: No NAT is good NAT. NAT when you HAVE TO, and only then.

I'd test this two ways:
- DHCP, which will enable BPF
- Static IP, which means NAT unchecked, BPF unchecked, VNET checked. Set IP, mask, next-hop; keep interface blank.

curly

Cadet
Thanks Yorick, the second suggestion works for me. You are correct that the default NAT does not work at all. For DHCP, I still got DNS error but anyway, problem solved.

Here is the workable setting screen capture:
03.png

Yorick

Wizard
I think Plex might need some additional settings if you attempt to run it without vnet. Something is funky with your NIC or network, there shouldn’t be issues with either dhcp or vnet.

kherr

Explorer
+ 100

Exact same error, I was pulling my hair out!! Unchecked the VNET / BPF ..... and loaded right up !!

Thanks

nikkon

Contributor
I have the same problem on TrueNas 12
I tried all possibilities and none work. i still get the same message.
coruscant had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: pkg.FreeBSD.org could not be reached via DNS, check coruscant's network configuration Partial plugin destroyed

Houmin

Cadet
Hi,
I have the exactly same problem on my new FreeNAS 11.3-U5. I can ping pkg.freebsd.org and I tried many configuration but I can't install a plugin. I tried to install Plex and Transmission plugin but I had the same problem of DNS. I configured DNS in my network config (8.8.8.8 and my router) but it's not the solution.

What can I do?
Thanks

nikkon

Contributor
I have solved the issue here:
follow my steps and see if helps

zetabax

Dabbler
Nothing about truenas makes logical sense and I'm struggling to understand why so many people swear by it.

Honestly, VMWare's ESXI is not only logically set up, but way more simple to use

nikkon

Contributor
Nothing about truenas makes logical sense and I'm struggling to understand why so many people swear by it.

Honestly, VMWare's ESXI is not only logically set up, but way more simple to use
I would disagree with you. Everything makes sense, you just need to pay attention or read the docs. If there something wrong or a bug the community helps and a bug will be open.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

ESXi is a level 1 hypervisor. TrueNAS is a NAS appliance. Why would you be comparing them?

Houmin

Cadet
I founded the solution: When I install a plugin, I must remove DHCP, NAT, VNET, Berkeley Packet Filter, specify the IPv4 adress and the Netmask. After that, Plex Media installed.

zetabax

Dabbler
I founded the solution: When I install a plugin, I must remove DHCP, NAT, VNET, Berkeley Packet Filter, specify the IPv4 adress and the Netmask. After that, Plex Media installed.

Thank you, that did it.

My biggest frustration with FreeNAS / TrueNAS is that despite following step by step tutorials, there are almost always a nuance that require extensive research, tinkering and tweaking to resolve.

TrueNAS is a neat product but its clearly for the home / hobbyist user. I wouldn't trust my business critical operations on it.

But I guess if you want repeatable and reliable outcomes, you pay the enterprise tax and go to VMWare, EMC, Dell, Cisco, etc.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I wouldn't trust my business critical operations on it.

TrueNAS Core is currently for the enthusiast/hobbyist. For business use, there's TrueNAS Enterprise, with full support. Core is also the beta test for Enterprise, so it's not surprising there are occasional sharp edges. Per the Release Cycle:

Release StageCompleted QA CyclesTypical Use-CaseDescription
NIGHLTY0DevelopersIncomplete
ALPHA1TestersNot much field testing
BETA2EnthusiastsMajor Feature Complete, but expect some bugs
RC3Home UsersSuitable for non-critical deployments
RELEASE4General UseSuitable for less complex deployments
U15Business UseSuitable for more complex deployments
U2+6+Mission CriticalSuitable for critical uptime deployments

For TrueNAS, we're only at U1.1. If you want mission-critical stability, you should be on 11.3-U5. TrueNAS Enterprise also lags one step behind, so it won't be at mission critical suitability until U3.

Besides, Plex is software for multimedia hobbyists. For shops working render farms, they only use the core storage capabilities of TrueNAS: SMB sharing, NFS sharing, and iSCSI volumes.

medicineman25

Dabbler
TrueNAS Core is currently for the enthusiast/hobbyist. For business use, there's TrueNAS Enterprise, with full support. Core is also the beta test for Enterprise, so it's not surprising there are occasional sharp edges.

Right but this issue only popped up this year... is no-one testing these plugins on your end? I thought they were "officially supported"? Forgive my tone but this is a particular frustration for me, you don't seem very serious about supporting the plugin ecosystem in any way that is meaningful.

medicineman25

Dabbler
This didn't work for me... have nameserver set in the global config to cloudflare, reachable from machine, plugin just won't install. Very disappointing. Will just use dhcp like a peasant.