iSCSI with ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

supernet33

Dabbler
I can't get iSCSI with ZFS working...
Anyone know how to get it working or have a how to?

Thanks

Everyone

Dabbler
Thanks,

I get stuck at Click "Device Extents" then "Add Extent"
I don't have anything showing in Device Extents

You skipped creating the ZFS Volume then.

You have to create a volume first, and then a ZFS volume after that, before the device will be listed to add as an extent.

You don't get the option to create a ZFS volume until AFTER you've created a volume and set ZFS as the filesystem type.

supernet33

Dabbler
Capture.JPG Capture.JPG
You skipped creating the ZFS Volume then.

You have to create a volume first, and then a ZFS volume after that, before the device will be listed to add as an extent.

You don't get the option to create a ZFS volume until AFTER you've created a volume and set ZFS as the filesystem type.

I believe I created it.. does it look right?

Everyone

Dabbler
View attachment 184 View attachment 184

I believe I created it.. does it look right?

No that doesn't look right... It looks like you have 4 volumes, but no option to create a ZFS volume, which probably means you chose UFS as the Filesystem type when creating the volume instead of ZFS.

It should look similar to this when creating the volume:
createvolume.png

The name can be whatever you want (looks like you used "ZFS" as the name) but you need to make sure the ZFS radio button is selected.

Then you should see a "Create ZFS Volume" button.

This is what the "Create ZFS Volume" dialog box looks like:
createzfsvolume.png

You don't have to use a Device Extent. You can use a regular Extent, the "Add Extent" button will give you the option to browse to one of your existing volumes. Give it a name, and set the size, then whatever your connecting to the target should be able to see the disk.

marcusmarcus

Explorer
Thanks,

I get stuck at Click "Device Extents" then "Add Extent"
I don't have anything showing in Device Extents
That's where you're going wrong. Your going to device extents which will set a device (hard drive) as an extent, but as all your hard drives are used in your volume, it does not see one as available. You want to go to "Extents" and then "Add Extent" This will let you set up a directory in your volume as an extent instead of an entire extent. "Extent" should be bellow "Device Extent" under the ISCSI section.
At least this is how I did mine.

supernet33

Dabbler
Capture33.JPG
That's where you're going wrong. Your going to device extents which will set a device (hard drive) as an extent, but as all your hard drives are used in your volume, it does not see one as available. You want to go to "Extents" and then "Add Extent" This will let you set up a directory in your volume as an extent instead of an entire extent. "Extent" should be bellow "Device Extent" under the ISCSI section.
At least this is how I did mine.

Thanks, I added that and still getting the error... I made a txt file called iscsi and pointed to it on in a folder on my freenas..
.. Any idea what is going on??

marcusmarcus

Explorer
I think you just point it to a directory, don't point it to a file. It creates a file itself I believe.

marcusmarcus

Explorer
Do you have a screenshot of the error you're getting when you tried to make an extent by pointing it to a directory (not the text file)?

marcusmarcus

Explorer
Sorry, I read your post wrong. I thought you were getting an error in FreeNAS, did not realize it was in ESXi. I haven't used that program.

Status
Not open for further replies.