ISCSI read performance good but then drops

arias74

Cadet
I need help in diagnosing what looks like a read performance issue with my ISCSI share. I'm testing the throughput of the share by reading a 60GB file off of the share onto my Windows server and watching the network throughput with task manager. When the read starts, everything looks fine, and on my 1Gb NIC, I'm able to see about 90% utilization. However, after about 10GB of data have been read, the network utilization drops significantly and becomes erratic. It shows usage from less than 10% then up to 50%, then back down to 10%. According to task manager, the network utilization becomes erratic, yoyo-ing up and down, but never more than about 50% for a moment before dropping to around 10%, then back up.

I'm trying to figure out what can be done to help maintain that initial 90% network utilization performance during the entire read process. Here's my hardware:

Dell R510 w/ 12 drive bays
2 x Xeon x5670
64GB RAM
10 x 10TB Seagate drives ST10000NM0016
Dell H200 flashed with IT firmware P20 installed in internal storage slot
Intel E1G42ETBLK Dual Gigabit port NIC

I've created a pool using multiple 2 drive mirrors. I've also installed an Intel Optane 16GB NVME card installed as cache on a PCIe adapter card. I was using this as a SLOG but I've reassigned it as cache for testing purposes.

Anybody have any ideas, or is this something I'll have to live with?

D

dlavigne

Were you able to determine the bottleneck? If not, what is the full output of ifconfig within code tags?