ISCSI performance on Windows 10 vs Ubuntu 16.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

freekey

Cadet
What could be the downgrader of performance on the same Laptop when booted into Windows 10 vs that same laptop in Ubuntu 16.04?
I connected the same ISCSI disk in both OS-s, and ran an xcopy/cp command with time difference output at the end, the same Web folder (1.5GiB, with about 100.000 files) copied in around 1.5 minutes in Ubuntu vs 14 minutes in Windows.
There were no running backups/malware scanners, and almost no network activity in both scenarios.

kdragon75

Wizard
Are you copying from the iSCSI target to another location on the iSCSI target? Are you using the same file system on the iSCSI block device? Perhaps there are some metadata inefficiencies in Windows.

freekey

Cadet
I'm copying from my laptop's internal ssd drive to the iscsi disk mounted as another letter on my laptop.
What's surprising is that I'm using the same ssd drive in Ubuntu, so if anything it should help the Windows side (because it's NTFS) .
I also did a head to head race between smb and iscsi on Windows with a different folder and in that case the iscsi repeatedly took the crown.

kdragon75

Wizard
it should help the Windows side (because it's NTFS)
Please explain this.

Also iSCSI has a ton of tuning options then may be vastly different across OSes.

freekey

Cadet
I meant that NTFS is native to Windows, so it should (probably) be a faster implementation than the one on Ubuntu (for the reading part of xcopy).

Status
Not open for further replies.