iscsi extents - cannot see devices after upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2

dmshimself

Dabbler
I've been running with a few iscsi zvol devices for some time now and they continue to work fine after upgrading from 11.1 to 11.2. However with 11.2 I cannot add a new device extent in sharing/iscsi/extent/add because the drop down arrow presented to select the device isn't being populated. I have several zvol device which should be selected-able, but no devices appear in the list when I click on the white arrow. Also when I look at existing extents, they do not display the device they are associated with either as shown below. I've also shown one of the zvol devices I've created below too. Is there a trick to getting these to appears as devices I can select?

zvol:
Screenshot from 2019-01-09 08-52-07.png

iscsi extent for existing:

Screenshot from 2019-01-09 08-48-34.png

dmshimself

Dabbler
As an FYI I can create and use an extent if I set up a file extent rather than trying tto use a zvol.

dmshimself

Dabbler
Useful info, but I wounder if that is quite the issue for me. Those references talk about the name of the iscsi device (in my case a zvol called rp3) or the base name of the iscsi service (in my case iqn.2011-03.org.example.istgt). If there was a restriction that no iscsi device could be created on a dataset where the dataset had upper case names, I would have thought that would cause a lot of trouble for a lot of people? You'd have to recreate pools and all sorts.

I've had also been running with similarly named zvols on 11.1 (rp amd rp2) without any issues, but maybe I was just lucky :)

I'm happy to plan in migrating the pools on this server that need to support iscsi devices to ones with names without caps, but could I just do a double check that this is really the root cause of the issue? I have a pool called General with a zvol on that called rp3 - I have to move to a pool called general or some such?

A quick update/test from me - I plugged in an extra USB drive and created a pool called test, put a zvol called test on that and this does not appear on the device list. Clicking on that white arrow does nothing.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Is this still an issue for you? If so please report it at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number.