Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

TrueOS Is TrueOS abandoned?

Barulheira

TrueOS website should be discontinued with an announcement and downloads forbidden.

sretalla

FreeNAS Expert
I think you'll find it's related to the merging of FreeNAS and TrueNAS to the codebase of FreeNAS (but will now be called TrueNAS core), with TrueNAS enterprise being the original TrueNAS feature-set.

Kris Moore

VP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, at this point there is no active work continuing on TrueOS by the original developers. We've been somewhat swamped with TrueNAS Core and related efforts for a bit now, but we will go ahead and retire the site / repos before too long.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So, ah, for the benefit of those of us who hadn't been following closely, what prompted this?

Kris Moore

VP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Over the past 2-3 years it's been a personal passion project for a few iX employees, and we're all busy pushing very hard on TrueNAS CORE/Enterprise and some other projects right now. Plus there's not a lot of community demand for what it was trying to do in that space, so we've mostly all moved onto other things.

Kris Moore

VP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Have any of these TrueOS projects been integrated into TrueNAS?
package base
libressl
openrc

John
groenveld@acm.org
Nope. We've decided to not pursue package base further at this point. Too many issues and lack of consensus from wider community on how to proceed with it has left it somewhat dead in the water right now. Updating system we have for TrueNAS right now works just fine and is very mature.

As for LibreSSL, it doesn't have enough upstream support for us to justify spending lots of effort to fix all the 3rd party packages that we use in TrueNAS to work properly with it.

With OpenRC, we still like the system, but again, it seems that the momentum is on Linux with systemd right now. I personally don't see OpenRC as being a big enough technology jump to try and champion it into wider acceptance by the BSD community, too little too late so to speak.

ornias

FreeNAS Experienced
Over the past 2-3 years it's been a personal passion project for a few iX employees, and we're all busy pushing very hard on TrueNAS CORE/Enterprise and some other projects right now. Plus there's not a lot of community demand for what it was trying to do in that space, so we've mostly all moved onto other things.
Thanks for the honesty!

Speaking of the repo closing down and such...
I noticed that a lot of iocage plugins use the following pkg repo, any plans to move this to something like: pkg.cdn.truenas.org?

Kris Moore

VP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yep, we're in process of cleaning many of those up now, that'll eventually get put on another domain, but for now its still working and supported.

groenveld

FreeNAS Experienced
With OpenRC, we still like the system, but again, it seems that the momentum is on Linux with systemd right now. I personally don't see OpenRC as being a big enough technology jump to try and champion it into wider acceptance by the BSD community, too little too late so to speak.
When Sun rolled out smf(5) for Solaris, they eased adoption by ISVs and customers by allowing init.d(4) scripts to continue to function side-by-side:
<URL:https://illumos.org/man/4/init.d>

John
groenveld@acm.org

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Plus there's not a lot of community demand for what it was trying to do in that space, so we've mostly all moved onto other things.
That's really too bad. Back in the '90's, it was practical for me to run FreeBSD on the desktop and even carefully-chosen laptops. In the 2000's this became impractical as too many of the tools I needed on a daily basis weren't available, culminating in VMware's vSphere C# client, and I had to run Windows for a bunch of years. I had been hoping to finally get back to a FreeBSD desktop in the next few years here, as VMware's HTML5 client is actually more-or-less usable.

TrueOS was ambitious, and I say that as someone who develops a highly customized version of FreeBSD for production use.