Is there a plugin to save energy?

Snoopy69

Cadet
freeNAS and trueNAS only offer the options restart and shut down
is it possible (with plugin) to save energy, when I don't need the NAS or/and an plugin to power down the hdd (e.g. after 10 minutes)?

John Doe

Guru
usually we do not tell someone outside our secret circle of freenas, that there is a hidden plugin which saves up to 90% of the energy!
But since you were asking...

there is no plugin, all energy saving things are already built in. Check your C states and if freenas is able to enter the deepest.
Spin down of HDDs is not recommended. Due to higher failure rate, cost for replacing usually higher then energy cost.

Best ways to save energy is less hardware
eg 1x 64gb ram instead of 2x 32 or 4x 16
same for add in cards less hardware, less energy cost.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
In the 11.2 legacy interface and earlier, you could enable the power-saving daemon in System->Advanced. According to the FreeBSD man page, this affects the CPU power policy. To save additional power requires a judicious choice of hardware. For example, I use a lower-power Xeon (25 W TDP) with DDR3L low-voltage ECC RAM. My server idles at 40 W, and runs 100% CPU at 60 W.

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
The idling draw of and iron wolf is about 5W, so to be more efficient use less spinners. Use efficient hardware in general. A Dell T20 idles under 30W with two hdds, or about 20 kWh/month.