Is there a plugin that does?

DustyP

Cadet
Is there a plugin that allows FreeNAS to perform as traditional network attached storage device?
If not, how can I manage it?
My apologies for being a newby who knows very little about FreeNAS.

Redcoat

MVP

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS *is* a traditional network attached storage device - what precisely is it you are seeking? Client operating systems and protocols would be interesting for example.

Kind regards,
Patrick

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there a plugin that allows FreeNAS to perform as traditional network attached storage device?
What do you think FreeNAS does? What do you think a "traditional network attached storage device" does? How do you think the two are different?

DustyP

Cadet
What do you think FreeNAS does? What do you think a "traditional network attached storage device" does? How do you think the two are different?
From my week of delving into it, it appears to me that it will only do whatever plugins have been installed.

DustyP

Cadet
To clarify, I'm looking for a way to copy files to SAMBA shares from Windows and Linux machines. I can't see any way that FreeNAS provides this functionality.

Heracles

Wizard
Hey Dusty,

FreeNAS is using plugins for some advanced and non-file related services like Plex Server or Nextcloud. These services go beyond file sharing. Samba is standard, basic file sharing. As such, you do it straight from FreeNAS itself. You setup your storage, accounts and permission before setting the file sharing protocol itself. NFS, Samba, AFP, FreeNAS do them all straight from its WebUI.

danb35

Hall of Famer

DustyP

Cadet
Hey Dusty,

FreeNAS is using plugins for some advanced and non-file related services like Plex Server or Nextcloud. These services go beyond file sharing. Samba is standard, basic file sharing. As such, you do it straight from FreeNAS itself. You setup your storage, accounts and permission before setting the file sharing protocol itself. NFS, Samba, AFP, FreeNAS do them all straight from its WebUI.
Thank you. That makes complete sense. Setting permissions is where I was failing.

CPP-IT

Dabbler
Setting permissions is where I was failing.

The permissions can get a little tricky. I found these sections in the manual helpful:

Here are some useful threads from @anodos on getting FreeNAS & Samba to dance with your data!

The first thread will be the best source of basic tuning. The second will highlight the new additions that make managing these shares easier in 11.3