Is it a bad idea to nest datasets under the "iocage" dataset?

I'd like to create a series of nested datasets to keep the config files from my various Jails. The most logical place to keep said datasets would seam to be nested under the "iocage" dataset along with everything else Jail related.

Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea or is there somewhere better or more sensible that the config datasets should be kept?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea or is there somewhere better or more sensible that the config datasets should be kept?
Yes. Literally anywhere else you want to put them is better.

The redirection to /mnt/iocage from whichever volume is set for jails makes dealing with that dataset in any other way that with iocage problematic, for example when replicating the dataset anywhere, you replicate the mountpoint which can then be selected rather than the intended target to mount at boot if you're replicating to a different pool on the same box.

Just create a jailconfig dataset and put your things there.

I'm not sure I fully understand your reply.

Do you mean that I could face issues when replicating because the parent "iocage" dataset or it's path would also be replicated and that the system wouldn't know which one to mount and may mount the incorrect one?

sretalla