IRC Moderators Needed

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
#FreeNAS on Freenode needs a couple of moderators that can keep the spammers out! If you like to hang out on IRC and think you would be a good fit, please send me a message through the forums or IRC.

silversword

Dabbler
Can't even join the channel without an invite...that'll keep people out :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's probably a temporary measure due to high spam activity.

Zwck

Patron
I loved IRC back in the 90s, but why is this community not going into the direction of Slack, Gitter, or Discord? Or even a selfhosted alternative such as Rocketchat ?

I am sure I can throw a few hours in until March, after that my time will be a little more erratic.

I can understand using IRC since a lot of the hardcore FreeBSD people still use it a lot. I haven't done much with it since around 2005 when my ex had some friends she dealt with and I helped out there and was also dealing with a TWL CS:S league.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I must admit, I'm old school and have no problems with IRC, but 'the kids' nowadays generally are using stuff like discord. It seems to be the way of the future.

May be worth opening a discord channel?

WookieCookie

Dabbler
I wasn't aware that an IRC was available, although like most I haven't used it since the early 2000s. I would up-vote discord though, I use it for a few other groups and it's pretty slick.

m0nkey_

MVP
I wasn't aware that an IRC was available, although like most I haven't used it since the early 2000s. I would up-vote discord though, I use it for a few other groups and it's pretty slick.
Moving to Discord would be tough. The IRC channel is well established (has been around since Aug 2007) and currently has 350 users.

SecCon

Contributor
Can't use IRC from work but if you ever move to Discord and need a CET (Central European Time) based moderator I have ample experience. Many many years of moderating and maintaining stuff, but never on IRC, mostly vBulletin and phbBB and the last couple of years a few Discord servers.

Only drawback is to learn a bit more about Freenas... :P