iocage plex metadata and transcoding issue

halo3addict

Cadet
Hey guys. I am new to Freenas. I was having the same exact issue where Plex Media Server was unable to load any metadata or transcode to certain devices.

I was just about to ask for the cli instructions for rookies, as i am not at all familiar with Linux command line, so i could not get the commands posted kindly by "John Digital" to parse without error. Interpreting what i could from his command line, and with some log information posted by another user in Bug Report #52548, i was able to piece together what needed to have to resolve this problem on my own using the WebGUI. I thought i should post it here because i am sure i am not the only .nix newbie user of freenas that may not be comfortable with the command line.

So, here i go:
-After installing the Plex Media Server plugin, i stopped it from within the Jails panel of the Freenas WebGUI. Once the Jail has stopped, select "Edit" from the control options to the right (you may have to scroll the page to your right).

Now in "Basic Properties":
-Enable "VNET"
-Enable "Berkeley Packet Filter"
-From the "IPv4 interface" drop-down, select "vnet0"
-For "IPv4 Address", type in the IP address on your local network that you would like to assign to your Plex Server.
-For "IPv4 Netmask" (I won't post a table of subnets here, but if your LAN subnet is 255.255.255.0 like the majority of home networks, select "/24" from the drop-down selector)
-For "Default IPv4 Route" This should be the IP address of your home router or dhcp server. Leaving this value set to use the Default Route assigned to FreeNas didn't work for me.

Now we'll click next and go down to "Jail Properties"
-About 85 to 90 percent of the way scrolling down the page, you'll see "allow.raw_sockets". This is unchecked by default. We need to check this box to enable the "allow.raw_sockets" parameter.

Now we'll click next and go down to "Network Properties"
-The very first value "interfaces". We just want to make sure that this is set correctly. The parameter here should be "vnet0:bridge0"

Click Save all the way down at the bottom of the Jail Edit page.

Now just for the sake of cleanliness, i rebooted my Freenas system after making these changes before even attempting to start the Plex Jail again. My Plex Server is now transcoding wonderfully, and is able to communicate with the outside world to download metadata, movie covers, album art, etc.

Huge shout out to this post. I've been racking my brain for days trying to figure out why my music albums weren't showing cover art and movies were showing still frames instead of the cover image. Thank you!

godofdew11

Dabbler
OK so, I apologize for digging up this thread especially as my first post post but I am at my wits end and coming up on leaving the house for 6 weeks over which time the wife wants plex, and I hope to stream when I have decent internet. I had a working Plex on a warden jail but of course I updated to 11.2 and wanted to update plex and have not had an issue in the past so I endeavored to install new on a iocage. I can get everything up and running and appear to be able to transcode (can watch from my phone on cell service, wifi off) and plex is saying remote access is good. I still cant get metadata. I deleted my jail and reinstalled fresh following this threads advice, and still nothing. Anyone have any ideas on what else to check? Im not a coding or freenas genius but let me know what logs or whatever might help.

Thanks,
Don

nojohnny101

Wizard
@godofdew11 can you post what you have already tried? there are numerous threads on here with your exact problem, some that have solutions.

godofdew11

Dabbler
I will try.
Global IPv4 default gateway set to 192.168.0.1
Global Nameserver set to 192.168.0.1
Plex jail VNET on, Berkeley packet filter on
IPv4 interface set to Vnet0
jail set with static IP(192.168.0.9 DHCP starts at 10)
IPv4 netmask set 24
IPv4 default router set to 192.168.0.1
autoconfigure IPv6 off
allow raw sockets on (can ping 8.8.8.8)
Interfaces set to vnet0:bridge0
vnet default interface set to re0

are current settings on current plex server and global. previous iocage server was set the same with same results

Have moved LMA to the bottom of all agent lists and unchecked
I have tried the Plex Dance with individual files with no results. However this last install I made sure agents were listed correctly before even adding a library. And i would think there would be no bundle or cache issues on a fresh jail.

I think thats it? I had some other stuff with my local dhcp not letting go of the MAC of the Plex and creating a conflict on the network that took a while to figure out as well.

Does that help?

Thank you for the help.

Don

nojohnny101

Wizard
Nevermind, I saw your details...

Checking my plex jail and comparing it to yours, it mostly matches. Did you check "allow_set_hostname" under "jail properties"?

Also, my "vnet default interface" is set to "auto"

godofdew11

Dabbler
allow set host name is on, i wouldnt have thought that would matter.
I have tried vnet default interface on both auto and hard set to my only interface doesn't seem to make a difference so i left it on the only interface it could be.

Thanks

Giovani

Cadet
[QUOTE = "ace1780, post: 488842, membro: 90254"]
Ei pessoal. Eu sou novo em Freenas. Eu estava tendo o mesmo problema exato em que o Plex Media Server não pôde carregar nenhum metadado ou transcodificar em determinados dispositivos.

Eu estava prestes a pedir as instruções cli para novatos, como não estou familiarizado com a linha de comando do Linux, então não consegui obter os comandos postados gentilmente por "John Digital" para analisar sem erro. Interpretando o que pude da linha de comando dele, e com algumas informações de log publicadas por outro usuário no Relatório de Bug # 52548, consegui reunir o necessário para resolver esse problema sozinho usando a WebGUI. Eu pensei que deveria publicá-lo aqui, porque tenho certeza de que não sou o único .nix novato usuário de freenas que pode não estar confortável com a linha de comando.

Então aqui vou eu:
-Depois de instalar o plug-in do Plex Media Server, eu o interrompi no painel Jails da Freenas WebGUI. Depois que a Cadeia parar, selecione "Editar" nas opções de controle à direita (talvez seja necessário rolar a página à direita).

Agora em "Propriedades básicas":
-Ativar "VNET"
-Ative "Filtro de pacotes Berkeley"
-No menu suspenso "Interface IPv4", selecione "vnet0"
-Para "Endereço IPv4", digite o endereço IP na sua rede local que você gostaria de atribuir ao seu servidor Plex.
-Para "Máscara de rede IPv4" (não postarei uma tabela de sub-redes aqui, mas se sua sub-rede LAN for 255.255.255.0 como a maioria das redes domésticas, selecione "/ 24" no seletor suspenso)
-Para "Rota IPv4 padrão" Este deve ser o endereço IP do seu roteador doméstico ou servidor dhcp. Deixar esse valor definido para usar a Rota padrão atribuída ao FreeNas não funcionou para mim.

Agora, clique em Avançar e desça para "Propriedades da cadeia"
- Aproximadamente 85 a 90% da rolagem da página, você verá "allow.raw_sockets". Isso está desmarcado por padrão. Precisamos marcar esta caixa para ativar o parâmetro "allow.raw_sockets".

Agora vamos clicar em Avançar e descer em "Propriedades da rede"
-O primeiro valor "interfaces". Nós apenas queremos ter certeza de que isso está definido corretamente. O parâmetro aqui deve ser "vnet0: bridge0"

Clique em Salvar até o final da página de edição da prisão.

Agora, apenas por uma questão de limpeza, reiniciei o sistema Freenas depois de fazer essas alterações antes mesmo de tentar iniciar a Cadeia Plex novamente. Agora, meu servidor Plex está transcodificando maravilhosamente e é capaz de se comunicar com o mundo exterior para fazer o download de metadados, capas de filmes, capas de álbuns etc.
[/CITAR]

Este funcionou perfeito para mim. Muito obrigado.

Giovani

Cadet
Hey guys. I am new to Freenas. I was having the same exact issue where Plex Media Server was unable to load any metadata or transcode to certain devices.

I was just about to ask for the cli instructions for rookies, as i am not at all familiar with Linux command line, so i could not get the commands posted kindly by "John Digital" to parse without error. Interpreting what i could from his command line, and with some log information posted by another user in Bug Report #52548, i was able to piece together what needed to have to resolve this problem on my own using the WebGUI. I thought i should post it here because i am sure i am not the only .nix newbie user of freenas that may not be comfortable with the command line.

So, here i go:
-After installing the Plex Media Server plugin, i stopped it from within the Jails panel of the Freenas WebGUI. Once the Jail has stopped, select "Edit" from the control options to the right (you may have to scroll the page to your right).

Now in "Basic Properties":
-Enable "VNET"
-Enable "Berkeley Packet Filter"
-From the "IPv4 interface" drop-down, select "vnet0"
-For "IPv4 Address", type in the IP address on your local network that you would like to assign to your Plex Server.
-For "IPv4 Netmask" (I won't post a table of subnets here, but if your LAN subnet is 255.255.255.0 like the majority of home networks, select "/24" from the drop-down selector)
-For "Default IPv4 Route" This should be the IP address of your home router or dhcp server. Leaving this value set to use the Default Route assigned to FreeNas didn't work for me.

Now we'll click next and go down to "Jail Properties"
-About 85 to 90 percent of the way scrolling down the page, you'll see "allow.raw_sockets". This is unchecked by default. We need to check this box to enable the "allow.raw_sockets" parameter.

Now we'll click next and go down to "Network Properties"
-The very first value "interfaces". We just want to make sure that this is set correctly. The parameter here should be "vnet0:bridge0"

Click Save all the way down at the bottom of the Jail Edit page.

Now just for the sake of cleanliness, i rebooted my Freenas system after making these changes before even attempting to start the Plex Jail again. My Plex Server is now transcoding wonderfully, and is able to communicate with the outside world to download metadata, movie covers, album art, etc.

This was the solution to the problem I had of not playing MKV and not downloading metadata. Thanks for the tip.