IOC Fault when importing pool (mps_reinit, HBA LSI Card, Freenas)

brutkruemel

Dabbler
Hello good people!

i came to these forums so often for help and looking things up, but i never registered.
So this is my first post and unfortunately i use it to seek help :/ , which i am sorry for.
But after searching google and these forums for the last couple hours, i am rather desperate.

So here it goes:

i upgraded my NAS with a new board ( Supermicro M11SDV-4C-LN4F) and reinstalled freenas.
Everything without my disks attached to the HBA card.
After installation i attached my drives to the HBA card, (re)booted, and wanted to import the pool.
The import seems to be stuck in an infinite loop of trying to initialise something from the LSI card (see picture).
Fehler2.png

The card worked fine in the other system and basically all i did was change the motherboard (CPU, RAM) and reinstall everything.
Does anyone know what this is about?

I have this lsi card:

One time when i booted this came, but after hitting a key everything booted fine:
AvagoBiosFault.png

i do not know if this helps, but here it is:
lsicard.png

Thank you!

brutkruemel

Dabbler
I just tested trying to create a new pool with a spare disk.
Same thing :(
So It is not just the import.

The disks are listed in the freenas GUI. It seems this occurs when it is trying to actually use the disks...

brutkruemel

Dabbler
Update: the disks are perfectly accessible when i use the MB SATA ports. It is only when using the LSI card that this error stuff appears.
Also i installed ubuntu on a spare disk and tried importing and using the zpool via ubuntu over the LSI card -> works also perfectly. So it has to do something with freenas not liking the LSIcard/MB combination.
Will post if i find a solution to this.

JaimieV

Guru
That "BIOS Fault 01h" message would concern me. Google says "Fault 01: No I/O port assigned to the adapter" which means the motherboard isn't assigning io addresses to it, probably due to a clash. Can you move it to a different slot? Remove other PCIe cards?

That said, it could be a motherboard-card incompatibility - I've seen that once myself in an HP Microserver and enough times in these forums for it to definitely be a thing.

brutkruemel

Dabbler
Thank you for your help JaimieV!

Unfortunately the board only has one PCI slot.
I don't think it is a MB card incompatibility, because i tried it with an Ubuntu server installation and everything worked fine. So i think it has sth to do with Freenas, but i'm far knowing if that even could be. So i don't know.

My current solution, which i'm going with, is a different card, a simple pcie sata extender card.
So 3 of my 6 disks are now directly using MB Sata ports and the other 3 are using the extender card. And that works with Freenas. So i'm sticking with that.

Anyone interested in the LSI card :D

JaimieV

Guru
Hmm. The only other thing that might be worth a try is if your motherboard BIOS lets you disable builtin devices that you're not using - serial ports, parallel ports, PS/2, ethernet, that sort of thing? Otherwise, yeah - if you can get away with a simple SATA card, job done!