Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.
Introduction to ZFS

Introduction to ZFS Rev 1d)

Ericloewe

Not-very-passive-but-aggressive
Thanks
Maybe also
8. Mentioning that there is no raid 01 analogue in ZFS world.

Sent from my phone
As in "mirroring vdevs instead of striping them"? I think that's fairly clear in the second paragraph of the "ZFS Pools" subsection.

danb35

FreeNAS Wizard
Thanks
"okay, so how do I configure snapshots, they're awesome and I want them" and look at the manual and see that section so-and-so tells them what they need to know.
The problem with that is that the manual isn't that great as a "how-to" document. It's a very thorough reference (far better than most of what I see in the F/OSS world), but after installation, it doesn't do much to walk you through common tasks.

pro lamer

FreeNAS Guru
Thanks
The problem with that is that the manual isn't that great as a "how-to" document. It's a very thorough reference (far better than most of what I see in the F/OSS world), but after installation, it doesn't do much to walk you through common tasks.
Anyway we have some resources that do. Thinking of Uncle Fester's guide. Maybe we need a newer version of it?
Sent from my phone

danb35

FreeNAS Wizard
Thanks

pro lamer

FreeNAS Guru
Thanks
We probably do. That's why it's a wiki. (-:
I guess this topic is worth its own thread "why don't we update Uncle Fester's guide often enough"... :/

Ericloewe

Thanks
Ericloewe updated Introduction to ZFS with a new update entry:

Rev 1c)

This is Revision c) of the document. I somehow forgot to mention the FreeNAS User Guide in the Further Reading section - that has been fixed. I also added a section on the recordsize property.

Besides that, a footnote was added to the dedup subsection guiding people towards FMAZ if they really want to know more about dedup. I also added the links to the Resources section and to the Resource page to the first page of the document.
Read the rest of this update entry...

Ericloewe

Thanks