SOLVED Intel x540 t2 not available after about 5 min

twest540

Cadet
Need some help. I have installed a intel x540 t2 in my desktop and my freenas machine. After I booted freenas and gave the interfaces IP Addresses I mapped the share to windows and everything was working fine. After about 5 minutes the share goes down and is unavailable. I cannot ping the IP either. The interfaces still show in freenas and reporting. I swapped the card out with another known good card and same issue. I am on FreeNAS-11.1-U7 with no updates available. Any Ideas??

D

dlavigne

Post the full output of ifconfig within code tags.

Anything in /var/log/messages when the issue occurs?

twest540

Cadet
Thanks for the response. It was an overheating problem. I figured it out by trial and error

Velcade

Contributor
How'd you solve your overheating issue?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
How'd you solve your overheating issue?

Usually the solution is to blow more air. Lots of people build these server-grade cards into non-server-grade systems, where the airflow isn't being forced over the cards, because your average PC just doesn't do that.

Velcade

Contributor
Usually the solution is to blow more air. Lots of people build these server-grade cards into non-server-grade systems, where the airflow isn't being forced over the cards, because your average PC just doesn't do that.
Makes sense. I bought a couple PCI slot fan brackets for that reason. Works well for my H310, hoping to have similar luck with the X540.