Intel Gig CT unable to set address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakken

Cadet
I have just setup FreeNAS on an older box with an intel expi9301ctblk NIC card. The card is detected and comes up as em0. I can not set an address via DHCP. The DHCP server gets the request but FreeBSD never sets it. I can set the IP address manually and it wont work either. I have booted this same machine with Arch Linux and the network card works just fine. Anyone have any ideas how I can trouble shoot this?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There isn't enough information to give a good guess, so here's what I would check:

1. Make sure your network cables and stuff are tight
2. Try resetting your network configuration in FreeNAS. This can be accomplished locally by chosing option 1 from the FreeNAS menu, chosing your controller, then say "yes" when asked to "Reset network configuration".
3. Check your DHCP server settings, closely. For example, if your server only has 5 address leases to give out and you have 5 devices on your network FreeNAS won't be able to get an IP address. If you had an expired lease when you tried Linux and then didn't with FreeNAS it will give you the indication it's not the DHCP server when it might actually be the problem.
4. Try reinstalling FreeNAS to a new USB stick that is at least 4GB in size.

Bakken

Cadet
1. My "stuff" is in fact pretty "tight" Also I did have this hardware working in Arch Linux
2. I have reset configurations many times also tried a number of different FreeNAS versions from 8.0.1 to 9-Alpha
3. DHCP shouldn't have been an issue and if it was when I set the IP manually that should have fixed it
4. Alternated between two different 8GB sandisk cruzer edge USB drives when I was trying the different versions

I installed Free and Open BSD on this configuration and was still not able to get the NIC to work correctly. In the end I manged to find another motherboard. Replacing just the motherboard/CPU and using all the same hardware now the NIC card works. Not sure what to say but I assume that the mobo's PCI-E interface didn't play well with FreeBSD, but Linux seemed to be a bit more forgiving. For anyone's further reference if you plan on using an MSI K8NGM2 motherboard, you might have a bad time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Very interesting. There's been a motherboard or 2 out there that has had "special" issues with certain pcie slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.