Installing Zoneminder FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJDK

Dabbler
Hello.

Anyone interested in helping me installing Zoneminder in FreeNAS 11.
I think I need to start with installing Ubuntu Server in a Jail or WM as the FreeBSD is outdated.
is the any working guides for installing Ubuntu server in FreeNAS 11

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jshurak

Dabbler
I have zoneminder running in a debian VM. Its really straight forward. What help are you looking for? Create the VM, allocate a drive for the OS, attach the ISO via CD-ROM and turn on the VM. VNC to it to perform the OS install.

scrappy

Patron
Most likely, your Ubuntu VM will not boot properly after the initial install on FreeNAS 11 since UEFI is currently the only viable boot option for FN11 VMs and something about certain Linux distros such as Ubuntu don't play nicely. But don't worry! After your installation is complete, create the proper boot file in your VM as shown here.

After VM installation is complete, you can move on to installing Zoneminder. The *easiest* way by far is to install the Zoneminder PPA.

You can follow this guide for more detailed instructions.

CJDK

Dabbler
Hi.
Thank you.

So I started off with creating a zvol for Ubuntu OS I made it 1 TB
Next I created the WM Ubuntu with 2 cpu and 4095 gb ram
attached the "harddrive"
attached the cdrom (iso)

Ubuntu server booting and running.
Time for bed :smile:

Last edited:

scrappy

Patron
While storing all your surveillance recordings in the VM is fine and how most people do it, you might consider using a much smaller VM (16-20GB) and create a separate surveillance dataset on FreeNAS to share to your Ubuntu VM using NFS sharing. Depending on your level of experience, this may be a somewhat difficult task. The benefit is not having to allot 1TB of disk space to the VM. A separate dataset can start at essentially zero size and grow from there. It's also portable in case you hose your VM someday and need to create a new one.

CJDK

Dabbler
Yes creating a smaller wm with "external" storage is much smarter.
I had install errors when i did the sql mod and Zoneminder did not start. So I might do a fresh new install anyway.
When I get home from work I will post the errors.
If I /We can fix the errors and get Zoneminer going. I migth stay with the install for now. As I have to leave for holiday soon :)

Today I created a new WM with smaller 20G harddrive.
ZM is installed and running.

I might need help with setting up the NFS share and mount it to the ubuntu Wm.
Also I need to read up how to configure ZM

Last edited:

scrappy

Patron
See this previous post on creating nfs shares for Ubuntu running Zoneminder.

I will add that you must install the nfs server package on Ubuntu before it can mount nfs shares. Do so using:
# apt install nfs-kernel-server
You can read more on nfs in Ubuntu here.

CJDK

Dabbler
Hi.
Not 100% there yet.
I will take a break.
Hope you still interested in helping when i am back
Thanks

CJDK

Dabbler
Hi,
I would like to connect a USB camera directley to my Freenas with WM running Ubuntu and Zoneminder.
But I read there is no USB passthrough in Freenas.
Is there a solution on the way?
I run FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)

Chiaki

Explorer
I recently installed ZM in a jail using the instructions posted here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-install-zoneminder-1-30-on-a-9-10-jail.44603/

There are two addendums that may be necessary as well (post #7 and #10).

So far it's working great. I even have a script running that uploads alarm videos to YouTube so I have remote persistance.

Would you mind sharing that script? Does it work, so the uploaded videos are private? Also is anyone doing the same but with something like Dropbox instead of YouTube?

fracai

Guru
I can share that later today.
A couple notes though.

YouTube has API limits that I sometimes ran into on partly cloudy days. I could probably fix that by tweaking the detection settings, but I hit other issues first.
YouTube also flagged my account for uploading repetitive videos with the intent of driving users to other websites. I contested the flag seeing as the videos were private, but I never saw an update.

Instead I switched to PushBullet. They were great because I would get the alert with an image preview and I could easily delete false alarms.
But they have API limits that are more restrictive by month and I hit those after a week.

So I switched to Flickr. They've been great. The API limit is so high I'll never hit it and the interface is reasonably easy to review and delete. The only issue so far is that because I'm uploading video and pictures they sometimes appear out of order. I think I could fix that with further API calls, but I haven't investigated it yet.

I'll upload the three scripts that I've used later today.

Dropbox would work as well, they have an API and you'd only be limited by how much space you use. I don't think they have limits on how much you upload to your own space. There are limits on using too much outbound bandwidth, but I don't think you'd hit that with reviewing ZM clips.

Chiaki

Explorer
I can share that later today.
A couple notes though.

YouTube has API limits that I sometimes ran into on partly cloudy days. I could probably fix that by tweaking the detection settings, but I hit other issues first.
YouTube also flagged my account for uploading repetitive videos with the intent of driving users to other websites. I contested the flag seeing as the videos were private, but I never saw an update.

Instead I switched to PushBullet. They were great because I would get the alert with an image preview and I could easily delete false alarms.
But they have API limits that are more restrictive by month and I hit those after a week.

So I switched to Flickr. They've been great. The API limit is so high I'll never hit it and the interface is reasonably easy to review and delete. The only issue so far is that because I'm uploading video and pictures they sometimes appear out of order. I think I could fix that with further API calls, but I haven't investigated it yet.

I'll upload the three scripts that I've used later today.

Dropbox would work as well, they have an API and you'd only be limited by how much space you use. I don't think they have limits on how much you upload to your own space. There are limits on using too much outbound bandwidth, but I don't think you'd hit that with reviewing ZM clips.

Sounds like Dropbox or Flickr would be ideal for me, since I get an Email notification directly from Zoneminder. Thank you!

fracai

Guru
Here's the quick and dirty: https://github.com/fracai/zoneminder2flickr

It could definitely use some cleanup. The script creates a video and pushes it and a sample image to Flickr and reports each via Pushover. Setting up the Pushover and Flickr apps is fairly straightforward at each site.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.