Installing webcamd

Chris230291

Patron
Hi all. I am trying to follow this guide here https://gist.github.com/dreamcat4/32fac8eb6f5db515b68d
Perhaps a dumb question but should all this be done in the jail or in the freenas OS? I assumed the jail, but some reading online suggests that its the OS, but first I need to make the OS writable?

Inside the jail I get to this part

Code:
root@TVHeadend:/usr/ports/multimedia/webcamd # service "kldload" start		
kldload does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup						
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable						
root@TVHeadend:/usr/ports/multimedia/webcamd #	

I have gotten webcamd installed, but that wasnt without issues. For some reason it couldnt install the dependencies... Installing them manually and trying again worked fine.

Any advice is apreciated.
Cheers,
Chris

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You're missing a lot about how FreeNAS works.

Never install anything directly on the OS, only in jails.

You may find that your install goes bad or gets uninstalled by an update or reboot.

You can't load kernel modules in a jail, so perhaps you need to consider if you have the right OS for the job you're doing.

I'm not sure what your plans were, but it's also worth noting that the FreeBSD version of Plex can't do live TV.

Chris230291

Patron
Hi. So I was correct in doing it in the jail. If it cant be done then why is the guide written for freenas? I've read on here that people have done it but no instructions how they did it.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Hi. So I was correct in doing it in the jail. If it can't be done then why is the guide written for freenas? I've read on here that people have done it but no instructions how they did it.
I thought I saw the guide was written for FreeBSD.

gt2416

Patron
Hi all. I am trying to follow this guide here https://gist.github.com/dreamcat4/32fac8eb6f5db515b68d
Perhaps a dumb question but should all this be done in the jail or in the freenas OS? I assumed the jail, but some reading online suggests that its the OS, but first I need to make the OS writable?

The OS is NOT writable.(You cant install any other packages to it by default)
Everything you install MUST be in a jail. Once in a jail you can follow any FreeBSD guide.

RichyR45

Cadet
I know this thread might be a little outdated, but it's just exactly my problem.

[OT: I'm new in freenas (and freebsd ^^) world, so please be patient ;-) ]

I'd like to run webcamd together with tvheadend and managed to install tvheadend and webcamd in a jail. (Since I changed "dev_ruleset" to 3 I even see my DVB-C receiver sticks within the jail. Yippie!)

But webcamd now lacks cuse support, and unfortunately I don't know how to gain it.
I asked Google of course and learned that it seems not to be a module anymore but went into the kernel – so there is no module I could "kldload".
But how could I activate it?

I really like what I see of freenas up to now, but without getting tvheadend to work I couldn't migrate to freenas – would be a pitty!

So any help is highly appreciated! :smile:

Thanks a lot,
Richard

RichyR45

Cadet
I managed to kldload the cuse.ko from original freebsd 11.2, now webcamd tries to create dvb nodes. Unfortunately they don't appear in devfs. So I've got another problem. How to allow webcamd within the jail to create nodes?

Here is what webcamd tries to create
Cannot set realtime priority
Attached to ugen0.3[0]
Loading firmware at '/boot/modules/dvb-usb-terratec-h5-drxk.fw', f=-1
Creating /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
Creating /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
Creating /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0

sretalla