Installing Subversion server options

Apollo

Wizard
Hi,

I have been experimenting with installing Subversion (SVN) server in a Debian VM, as well as running phpmyadmin to handle database management.
Both solution work, but the main concern or issue I have is that the database and SVN repositories are part of the VM.
I really need to have the database and the repositories stored on a regular dataset and should be accessible to the VM.

Any way I can accomplish this?

The other alternative would be to see if I can actually create an iocage jail and install Subversion (SVN) server and phpmyadmin.
From that point of view, I shouldn't have any problem using the fstab to mount the dataset containing my data.

Any advice?
Thanks

blanchet

Guru
If you run SVN server in a VM, you have to export the repository from FreeNAS to the VM with NFS.
There is no particular difficulties, but it would be better if you install SVN server in a jail.
In this case you can mount a dataset from your pool inside the jail.
See that my tutorial for backuppc , in the section "3/ Edit Jail properties"

anmnz

Patron

Apollo

Wizard
Thanks guys,
I am fiddling with Iocage jail with Subversion as server and I got it working using the external dataset as a mount point.
I am now trying to figure out how to install and setup Websvn.
I haven't done any side by side comparison against the Debian VM, but I am fairly impressed with the throughput I get with the jail which subjectively seems much faster than the VM.