Installing smbclient for Nextcloud 15 Jail

Cap980

Cadet
Hello all,

I am newer to Freenas and recently installed the Nextcloud plugin in 11.2. Nextcloud is v15 and with the external storage support app enabled it says smbclient is not installed. I have been searching all over the place and have found numerous threads where this was resolved for others but all the install methods they were using have had no results for me. I am more than willing to read as much material as it takes to really understand all this if need be.

Is there a package available I could install in the jail using pkg install "package_name"?
I thought it the corresponding package was php72-pecl-smbclient.
I have also seen others mention using pecl-smbclient or php-smbclient but those packages do not seem to exist in the repository.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cap980

Cadet
Unfortunately not. I have not had too much time to mess with it due to work this week. I am unsure what steps I will take next at the moment. I need to do some more reading unless you have any suggestions to try first.

I did read through this thread just now though, is this something that would just not presently have a solution when installing using the plugin?

Edit: As I stated previously, I am kind of just diving in to this and learning as I go, so I apologize for any ignorance on any of this on my end when it comes to working with this OS.

gt2416

Patron
Have you tried pkg install samba47 and
pkg install php72-pecl-smbclient
Those packages definitely exist.

Cap980

Cadet
Samba47 showed not in repository. However, found that samba48 was available and installed successfully. The warning went away in Nextcloud and it gives the option to add an SMB share. When I try to add my share I recieve this error.

Error.png

Tried php72-pecl-smbclient after seeing your edit, does not exist

Code:
root@nextcloud:/usr/local # pkg install php72-pecl-smbclient
Updating iocage-plugins repository catalogue...
iocage-plugins repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'php72-pecl-smbclient' have been found in the repositories

Last edited:

Cap980

Cadet
Bump.

Anyone know if there is some other smbclient package that I have just not found while searching? Other users with this issue that I have found just had to install an smbclient package from the repo, whether it be smbclient, php72-pecl-smbclient, pecl-smbclient, or however it may have been named in various threads.

Could I fetch and manually install these packages if need be?

Thanks.

Cap980

Cadet
No, none of my different approaches at getting it installed have ended well. I thought about trying to enable the freebsd repo and install it form that but I have a feeling that might cause some compatibility issues.

NASnewbi916

Dabbler
in a few forums, users are saying its an issue with 11.2

Unfortunately, I have both of my FreeNAS systems running 11.2 now otherwise I would test on 11.1

KevDog

Patron
How did you install your jail? What php version did you install nextcloud with? I think you need to match your smbclient with the php version installed with your nextcloud. I believe there are php version 7.1 7.2 and 7.3.

jsherm101

Dabbler
I have smb support working just fine on my 11.2 jail running nextcloud 15

I would double check what @KevDog suggests - make sure you're installing smb for the right version of PHP your nextcloud instance is using

Also make sure you've restarted the php-server service

Did you install via plugin or clean jail? you may need to add pkg info for plugin based installs

I have smb support working just fine on my 11.2 jail running nextcloud 15

I would double check what @KevDog suggests - make sure you're installing smb for the right version of PHP your nextcloud instance is using

Also make sure you've restarted the php-server service

Did you install via plugin or clean jail? you may need to add pkg info for plugin based installs

Hi, i have problem when installing smb for php in nextcloud

I use freenas 11.2 and nextcloud 15 php version 7.1.25

Can you share the script for installing smbclient on nextcloud? Thanks

jsherm101

Dabbler
Hi, i have problem when installing smb for php in nextcloud

I use freenas 11.2 and nextcloud 15 php version 7.1.25

Can you share the script for installing smbclient on nextcloud? Thanks

run

Code:
pkg install php71-pecl-smbclient

how did you install nextcloud? manually or via plugin? If plugin, you may need to add pkg support

run

Code:
pkg install php71-pecl-smbclient

how did you install nextcloud? manually or via plugin? If plugin, you may need to add pkg support

I run the script and got this error :

Code:
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'php71-pecl-smbclient-0.9.0_4' have been found in the repositories

I install nextcloud via plugin, and maybe thats why i got an error

How to add pkg support then?

jsherm101

Dabbler
I run the script and got this error :

Code:
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'php71-pecl-smbclient-0.9.0_4' have been found in the repositories

I install nextcloud via plugin, and maybe thats why i got an error

How to add pkg support then?

That's not an error. It's telling you that there are no packages with that name in your repo because plugin-based installs dont have the full FreeBSD package respository

To add support for other packages, take a look at this thread

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/iocage-plugins-how-to-get-pkg-to-work.62959/

Cap980

Cadet
Apologies for going AWOL on this thread for awhile, been very busy. But now that I have had some time I was able to get it going by enabling the freebsd repo and per Kevdog and jsherm, install the corresponding version. Which in my case was also for php 7.1.

Appreciate the help guys, its working great now.

bignellrp

Dabbler
Hi, I’m new to nextcloud and have it working in a jail on freenas 11.3. Does SMB sharing work both ways. Say for viewing smb shares on the next cloud app and sharing documents. But also as an smb server so other machines on the local network can see nextcloud folders/docs?

sretalla