SOLVED Installing a NIC driver into FreeNAS

drinking12many

Contributor
So i am on 11.3RC1. I bought 3 Solarflare 10Gb NICs off Ebay for $17 each. Put two in my ESXI hosts installed the VIB file rebooted showed up no problems everything is great.

Put the one in the FreeNAS box, doesn't see it. So I figure well maybe there is no driver or something I looked before I ordered it and it appeared supported, but it appeared to be true. It should be using the sfxge.ko driver on 11.3 RC1 https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=sfxge&sektion=4

The sfxge.ko was not there in either /boot/kernel or /boot/modules easy enough (i thought) downloaded the Freebsd 11.3 ISO grabbed the driver out of it (it was there) and put it in /boot/kernel which is where it was on the freebsd iso. Rebooted, if I do a kldstat I do not see it listed. If I do a kldload /boot/kernel/sfxge.ko it says its already loaded. I tried adding a line to the loader.conf as well rebooted same results. Doing a pciconf -lv I don't see it. I moved it to a different x8 slot. Still,dont see it. It's possible I suppose that its bad, but I won't know that until I put it into another box here in a bit and make sure it sees it. Provided it does see it and I think it will I have to think its either not truly supported or I didn't do something that's needed to add the driver.

My main question really is that I have never had to install a driver into FreeBSD/FreeNAS before is there something else I need to do to ensure it truly loaded?

Everything I can find says it should be supported in Freebsd with the sfxge driver. Both of the other ones do work in ESX and show up in there as Solarflare SFC9020 cards.

Thanks for any help its truly possible I just missed a step. Ill rule out it being bad hopefully here in a bit in another box.

EDIT: I saw another forum member say on 11.3 master with the same card he didn't have to do anything special. I'll rule out its bad next it always could be.

Last edited:

drinking12many

Contributor
Bad card it appears. Swapped between one of the ESX boxes and FreeNas card show up in FreeNAS now, and doesn't in ESX...figures I would put the two good ones into ESX and the bad one in FreeNAS causing me to think I didn't do something right...lol. I am sure quite a bit of this is due to caching, but I would say the bandwidth is there. Right now I am just doing direct connect with 1x10Gb link for ISCSI. Before I had 2x1GB links on a Distributed switch in Vmware. This is from inside a Windows 2016VM. The OS drive is on flash but the G drive I am testing is on the ISCSI lun on my Freenas its only a 2 drive Mirror with 120GB Log so this looks about right if I removed caching from the equation. I will RMA the bad NIC for my other ESX and should be good to go. Hopefully I will find a 10Gb switch a little later when the funds appear and then run fiber to my desktop upstairs for 10Gb here.

FYI - These were the NICs I ordered 17 dollars each - https://www.ebay.com/itm/SFN5322F-SOLARFLARE-2-PORT-10GB-s-PCI-E-2-0-x8-ETHERNET-ENTERPRISE-NIC-ADAPTER/223666120333?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The SFPs I ordered were just the 10- dollar finisar ones https://www.ebay.com/itm/163513759178 I also had 2 Cisco 10Gb SFPs laying in a drawer. Both seem to work fine in these cards and I had had pretty good luck with the finisar ones even at work years ok.

Attachments

• Capture-before.JPG
    Capture-before.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 254
  • Capture-10gbonly.JPG
    Capture-10gbonly.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 256
Last edited: