SOLVED Installation of FreeNAS OS on hardware RAID1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Thagard

Dabbler
I have a Dell PowerEdge 520 with six HDD slots. It has 2x500gb and 4x12tb. The RAID controller is a PERC 310 which supports pass-through mode. My question is, "Is it a problem to use hardware raid 1 on those 2x500gb HDDs and use that for the OS drive?"

"Is it a problem to use hardware raid 1 on those 2x500gb HDDs and use that for the OS drive?"

It is possible, but certainly not the recommended way. FreeNAS uses ZFS for all of the RAID functions, and it could do the mirroring of the boot drives. If you do it via ZFS, you can almost certainly move the drives to a different system with a different drive controller without an issue. That is not the case with a RAID card formatted drive. If you are going to go FreeNAS, go all the way and take the ZFS plunge! :smile:

danb35

Hall of Famer
"Is it a problem to use hardware raid 1 on those 2x500gb HDDs and use that for the OS drive?"
Possible, yes. A good idea, no. Why would you want to? If you want mirrored boot devices (which isn't a bad idea at all), the installer will do that for you.

Gordon Thagard

Dabbler
Thank you both for taking the time. I will break the hardware RAID 1, set the PERC to pass-through mode for everything, and build using ZFS. Cheers!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Thank you both for taking the time. I will break the hardware RAID 1, set the PERC to pass-through mode for everything, and build using ZFS. Cheers!

You'll want to perform a cross-flash to put LSI IT firmware on that PERC H310. The default Dell H310 firmware, while technically having a "pass-through" mode, has an astonishingly poor max queue depth of 25 - and yes, that's for the whole controller.

The LSI IT firmware should raise that limit to a much higher value - most LSI SAS2008 cards go to 600.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If it is the mini card that has a custom socket, flashing it will brick the card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If it is the mini card that has a custom socket, flashing it will brick the card.
Yes, an important note there as well. The "mini" or "integrated" cards are different enough to not be compatible with the LSI firmware.

Although I'd argue that for any ZFS install beyond a simple "home media server" you'll want to install a flashable HBA, otherwise you'll experience performance issues from the low queue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.