Contributor
It was in the guide :) well I'm stuck installing php now

php53 doesnt exist in .../lang

php-mode.el/ php5/ php55/ php56/
php5-extensions/ php55-extensions/ php56-extensions/ php_doc/

only these to choose from.

FlyingPersian

Patron
I'm using php56. When installing php56-extensions make sure you select the apache module (or something like that). The tutorial is based on even much much older information I found online, thus not everything might be up2date.

i3luefire

Explorer
Why do you need pkg2ng or portsmaster? Just go with ports or pkg, that does everything you need.
Seriously?
2. SSH into the jail and do the following:

Code:
portsnap fetch
portsnap extract
pkg update
pkg upgrade
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
make install clean
echo 'WITH_PKGNG=yes' >> /etc/make.conf
pkg2ng
portmaster -avB
<accept all of the defaults>
That is why he thought he needed pkg2ng and portsmaster. If you don't even know the steps to your tutorial you should not be posting tutorials. If you are saying the steps you posted are not the best way to do it then you should edit the steps to reflect that.

FlyingPersian

Patron
First of all, I wrote the tutorial 2 years ago, so don't bitch me out for not remembering every single step.
Secondly, the program hasn't been updated in years and most tutorials are much older than than mine. And since I'm not reinstalling it every 6 months I can't really tell, what the best steps are today. Enough other people answered here, so everybody should read everything first before trying. Three pages aren't too much.
Don't run around telling people they shouldn't write tutorials! It took me a lot of time and effort to find out how to install it properly and write the tutorial, so be thankful rather than bitching me out for forgetting a step of a tutorial I wrote two years ago.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

i3luefire

Explorer
First of all, I wrote the tutorial 2 years ago,
Sir, please forgive me for my assumption that when you "wrote" another tutorial less than a year ago you would have run through the steps to make sure that things had not changed and that you were not leading people astray. I am not taking issue with your originally posted tutorial steps (which by the way have been updated less that a year ago to include the very steps being talked about), what I am taking issue with is your unwillingness to even read the response the guy gave you. He told you he got the steps from you and you were treating him as though he was making it up. Also there is nothing in the previous comments that indicated to use only ports or pkg so your comment that
everybody should read everything first before trying
should maybe be applied to yourself before you apply it to others. I do applaud people who take the time to make sure they know what they are talking about before they tell others how to do something. You do not fall into that category sir. Maybe if you had not just jumped onto the copy paste bandwagon and tried to understand the steps before posting about them you would have remembered the steps you put into the tutorials you "write".

In the end a broken tutorial or one that is sub-optimal hurts more people than it helps because it just encourages even more people to just copy/paste their way into mediocrity.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Short answer: I didn't read his post properly. I have 10-12h days at the library, so I don't have much time and energy for surfing these sites. I saw the notification and tried to help him really quick.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

i3luefire

Explorer
Short answer: I didn't read his post properly.
understood.
sorry for offending you.
i appreciate your work on this tutorial.
i understand your lack of spare time to update. i wish i had the time/knowledge to figure it out and make an updated tutorial.

ondjultomte

Contributor
I did a pkg update and now rtorrent crashes.

(20:26:33) Using 'kqueue' based polling.
(20:26:33) Closed XMLRPC log.
Caught internal_error: MemoryChunk::unmap() - msync() system call failed] [H 32
Stack dump not enabled.

any ides were I should start poking around?

ondjultomte

Contributor
Starting with -n , ignoring .rc helps so it's the config file that's not okay now after the update.

ondjultomte

Contributor
After deleting every file in .session rtorrent starts normally, but I lost all torrent files.

dmitry13

Cadet
Rtorrent writes downloaded files with its own group permission, not the group of the parent folder.
Why is that important ?
Lets say we create a user in rtorrent jail user1:user1
when rtorrent jail is created, Usually one wants to have a a share that is visible somewhere in windows for "watch" and "downloaded" folders.
So, we create a storage /media, than we give permissions to that storage so that windows machine can access it with ReadWrite permissions. For instance media:media and than we map that storage to the jail.
If uid and gid don't match rtorrent, windows users will not see downloaded files in the /media/downloaded. because rtorrent will put files in /media with user1:user1 permissions.

but what we really want is media:media or at least user1:media.

there are two solutions for the problem.

1) create rtorrent user and groups that map their ids directly to user:group permissions for /media.
2) create new media group in jail that matches its gid with gid of the group permission for /media folder. and in the .rtorrent.rc add change permission code when download.finished event is tirggered. I am calling an external script that changes the permissing : chown -R rtorrent:media /media/downloaded

After that I see from windows all downloaded files in my shared folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.