Install Nextcloud on FreeNas 11.3-U1 step-by-step - All warnings fixed [Solved]

fahadshery

Contributor
Hi Everyone

It took me a while to fix this after extensive googling and this great forum. I have put together a step by step guide to install the Nextcloud from start to finish.
This is for n00bs like me :)

You can access the guide here.

Enjoy! :)

ddaenen1

Patron
Good guide. I fixed all those but a way more cumbersome process than described here.The only one i struggle with is this:

Code:
There are some warnings regarding your setup.   

Your web server is not properly set up to resolve "/.well-known/caldav". Further information can be found in the documentation.
    Your web server is not properly set up to resolve "/.well-known/carddav". Further information can be found in the documentation.

I read the explanation but so far, is not getting me anywhere :rolleyes:

ddaenen1

Patron
Good guide. I fixed all those but a way more cumbersome process than described here.The only one i struggle with is this:

Code:

Your web server is not properly set up to resolve "/.well-known/caldav". Further information can be found in the documentation.
    Your web server is not properly set up to resolve "/.well-known/carddav". Further information can be found in the documentation.

I read the explanation but so far, is not getting me anywhere :rolleyes:

I fixed several things on my Nextcloud installation today including this one. It appears my .htaccess didn't include

ddaenen1

Patron
Now here is an interesting finding:

If i log into Nextcloud with Safari, all is good.

1583748438409.png

But when i log in with Firefox, i get this:

1583748477684.png

Maybe time to flush my cache in Firefox and try again. To be continued...

That is outstanding information, very well written and to the point.
#sticky
You should consider to add that to the Resources-section.

Thank you!
Let's hope this config will withstand the next updates up onto 12... ;)

claib

Dabbler
still got one problem adressing storage outside the jail :

In the Detination i point to :
/mnt/VNAND/iocage/jails/Nextcloud/root/usr/local/www/nextcloud/data
- But il tells me that the directory must be empty...

1585812483807.png

Any advice appreciated :)

fahadshery

Contributor
still got one problem adressing storage outside the jail :

In the Detination i point to :
/mnt/VNAND/iocage/jails/Nextcloud/root/usr/local/www/nextcloud/data
- But il tells me that the directory must be empty...

View attachment 37109

Any advice appreciated :)

Yes the error is correct. When you're mounting external storage, the destination directory must be empty. To resolve this you could append the desitination folder by yourself e.g. `/mnt/VNAND/icoage/jails/Nextcloud/root/usr/local/www/nextcloud/data/mynextclouddata`

fahadshery

Contributor
For readers of this post, I do not recommend to follow this guide. Shoehorning ssl and other features in the plugin is not going to be secure or future proof. It will lead to unnecessary work with upgrades, backups and operations.
If manually installing Nextcloud in a standard jail is not an option, I suggest you use https://www.ixsystems.com/community...stallation-of-nextcloud-18-in-iocage-jail.90/
I found scripting to be difficult and it was just due to my knowledge of Linux. I wanted something visual and easy to follow.
I also found it easier to upgrade my Nextcloud installation with the latest software which fixes alot of bugs/security patches etc. Because I take security serious and want my systems updated especially if they are internet facing.

garm

Wizard
I take security serious and want my systems updated especially if they are internet facing.
Then you should deploy it in a standard jail using the script, not be using the plugin and rely on third party updates

waylon2002my

Dabbler
Hi Fahadshery,

After go thru your great guideline, i still left these 2 error with my next cloud, do you have any idea how to solve it?

1591696489027.png

Thank you.

ddaenen1

Patron
Hi Fahadshery,

After go thru your great guideline, i still left these 2 error with my next cloud, do you have any idea how to solve it?

View attachment 39173

Thank you.

From what i understand, don't bother too much about imagick. Apparently there are some security concerns with it. About the missing indexes. Have you tried more than one browser? In Safari, i don't get this error, only in Firefox.

waylon2002my

Dabbler
I've the solution for missing indicate, please go to setting->app->download OCCWeb.

and then insert the command as below, it will help to add the missing indicate.
1591776697642.png

T_T

Explorer
So I finished installing it and follow everything exactly the same as the guide. I then get this message at the end.

• This instance is missing some recommended PHP modules. For improved performance and better compatibility it is highly recommended to install them.
    • bcmath
    • gmp
    • imagick
Does anybody know of a way to fix this issue?

Last edited:

ddaenen1

Patron
From w
So I finished installing it and follow everything exactly the same as the guide. I then get this message at the end.

• This instance is missing some recommended PHP modules. For improved performance and better compatibility it is highly recommended to install them.
    • bcmath
    • gmp
    • imagick
Does anybody know of a way to fix this issue?

From what i understand there are some security vulnerabilities with imagick which appears to be the reason that the NC plugin doesn't install it. I have ignored it to date and read somewhere that imagick might well be gone permanently in version 19.

T_T

Explorer
From w

From what i understand there are some security vulnerabilities with imagick which appears to be the reason that the NC plugin doesn't install it. I have ignored it to date and read somewhere that imagick might well be gone permanently in version 19.
I am running version 19 but it's still there. What about the other 2: bcmath and gmp?

ddaenen1

Patron
I am running version 19 but it's still there. What about the other 2: bcmath and gmp?
I install those using the pkg install command from the jail shell. I didn't notice any differences after doing so though. The biggest issue i have with NC19 is that the photos app doesn't work properly, unlike the gallery app in 17 and 18.

T_T

Explorer

T_T

Explorer
I install those using the pkg install command from the jail shell. I didn't notice any differences after doing so though. The biggest issue i have with NC19 is that the photos app doesn't work properly, unlike the gallery app in 17 and 18.
Also, do you mind taking a look at this thread here. I don’t how you mount your nextcloud storage. But mine doesn’t seem to work.

Last edited:

ddaenen1

Patron
Can you provide the exact code for the installation. I have gone thru your post here https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/php-module-missing-how-to-install(bcmath-gmp).85711/page-2#post-593554 but didn’t understand much.

THIS post actually says it all. Just log into FreeNAS, go to the jails section, expand the nextcloud jail window and click on the shell-button to go into the jail shell and execute the commands listed in the post. If you are not familiar with executing FreeBSD commands, i would be very cautious though.