Install FreeNAS over PXE (Network Boot/Install)

ruant

Dabbler
@jgreco
True, best to do it proper when you first do it, if you can, especially if it's and important setup.
Luckily for me it's just for me, and it isn't really that important stuff going on there. Since I'm backing it up to the cloud as well.
But I appreciate the feedback you're giving. If I had the cash to buy a complete new setup I definitely would.

@Patrick M. Hausen
I got most of it set up now, it boots, loads the kernel etc.
But I'm stumbling onto issues when trying to mount the FreeNAS data as the root.
It keeps complaining about:
Code:
Mounting from ufs:/dev/md0.uzip failed with error 19

Any clue? :D

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No idea, sorry.

ruant

Dabbler
@Patrick M. Hausen
I think I managed it actually..
In a last attempt I extracted both FreeBSD and FreeNAS into the /var/pxeinstall folder, starting with FreeBSD, so FreeNAS specific files overwrote the FreeBSD files!

Winning!

Now, let's test this out on actual hardware, been running it on VM's so far.

ruant

Dabbler
Got it installed :)

Now a quick last question guys.
Should I break down the RAID5 on the 3ware controller and run them as single disks?
Or doesn't that matter? I see you, @jgreco, said something about even if they were "single disks" the 3ware controller did some crap with the data?
So IF the controller dies, I can't easily just buy a new HBA?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't know what the current state of the 3Ware controller support is. Years ago it was kinda crummy because the way 3Ware did it, you couldn't migrate the drives. But this is a multi-pronged problem, because even if that was fine, the driver for the controller may not be as resilient as you would like when problems arise. This is all discussed in the link I previously provided.