Initial / experimental support for time machine over SMB

NineFingers

Explorer
The problem, as I've experienced it, actually manifests after the full backup, and even a few incremental, have occurred successfully... then, "something" happens, and I can't get any further backups to complete. I've been running a test since yesterday, on a 2012 Synology, which has thus far successfully handled the backups of two machines that have been failing under FreeNAS. If they continue, I guess I'll have to look at a new Synology to handle my time machine needs... I hope they get this figured out soon!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The problem, as I've experienced it, actually manifests after the full backup, and even a few incremental, have occurred successfully... then, "something" happens, and I can't get any further backups to complete. I've been running a test since yesterday, on a 2012 Synology, which has thus far successfully handled the backups of two machines that have been failing under FreeNAS. If they continue, I guess I'll have to look at a new Synology to handle my time machine needs... I hope they get this figured out soon!

The actual code to add time machine over SMB will be in 11.2-U1. I've been running time machine backups over SMB on an experimental build with support for the past month.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The actual code to add time machine over SMB will be in 11.2-U1.
Do you mean -U2? Because -U1 is already out, of course.

adrianwi

Guru
I've updated to 11.2-U1 and have tried to set this up for one of my Macs.

I can see the SMB shares and select one, but when I enter the username/password I get the 'operation could not be completed error 17' previously posted.

Any ideas what I might have got wrong?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've updated to 11.2-U1 and have tried to set this up for one of my Macs.

I can see the SMB shares and select one, but when I enter the username/password I get the 'operation could not be completed error 17' previously posted.

Any ideas what I might have got wrong?

You need to wait for the next release. The code final code changes aren't in the version that you have.

NineFingers

Explorer
When you say you can see the smb shares, is that when you’re trying to mount them, or when you’re trying to select a destination for time machine?

NineFingers

Explorer
You need to wait for the next release. The code final code changes aren't in the version that you have.
What's the ETA for the next release?

adrianwi

Guru
When you say you can see the smb shares, is that when you’re trying to mount them, or when you’re trying to select a destination for time machine?

I can select it in the Time Machine preferences and then enter a user/pass. I’ll wait for 11.2-U2 and try again.

NineFingers

Explorer
I'm more than a bit frustrated, too... especially when my old Synology box seems to do the task with no issues... at least for a day...

eexodus

Dabbler
Is anyone seeing SMB Time Machine backups becoming unverified on the macOS clients and Time Machine on the clients asking to be recreated?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Is anyone seeing SMB Time Machine backups becoming unverified on the macOS clients and Time Machine on the clients asking to be recreated?
I haven't seen that in my backups yet (but I'm running what will be in 11.2-U2). I've been running them stably for about a month or so. The version you're running lacks correct mdns advertisments, and so behavior might be somewhat undefined.

keson

Dabbler
I am on latest 11.2.U2 and wanted to use the TimeMachine over SMB as the AFP version does not work - whenever I make an initial backup, the next time the mac runs additional backup it verifies the backup and finds it corrupted and suggests a new backup. So I hoped for TM over SMB to resolve this. However, when I set the new Dataset, create share and set all needed details, I can see the share in the list of available TM storages, but I am unable to run the backup - whenever the TM wants to connect, it response while connecting to the share with: The srae does not exist or is not available. Check server name or IP address and try again. However I can map and access the share from within mac os through smb:
P.S. It does not ask for any username/password, so I am not sure which credentials it is using...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am on latest 11.2.U2 and wanted to use the TimeMachine over SMB as the AFP version does not work - whenever I make an initial backup, the next time the mac runs additional backup it verifies the backup and finds it corrupted and suggests a new backup. So I hoped for TM over SMB to resolve this. However, when I set the new Dataset, create share and set all needed details, I can see the share in the list of available TM storages, but I am unable to run the backup - whenever the TM wants to connect, it response while connecting to the share with: The srae does not exist or is not available. Check server name or IP address and try again. However I can map and access the share from within mac os through smb:
P.S. It does not ask for any username/password, so I am not sure which credentials it is using...
Can you please PM me a debug file.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Postmortem on the PM:
It was most likely a permissions issue. Make sure that your time machine user is the owner of the dataset (or grant appropriate permissions). There is a possibility that there was a problem with advertising time machine of AFP and SMB simultaneously. I have introduced a new SMB auxiliary parameter in 11.2 zeroconf name = <string>. You can add this parameter to change the server name advertised over mdns for SMB-related items example: zeroconf name = freenas_smb

Do note that backups over SMB may be slower (possibly significantly slower). The MacOS client issues a SMB2 Flush for every write to the share. This gets translated to an fsync(), which turns into a zil write. In theory this should be less prone to corruption than AFP/netatalk-based time machine backups. A SLOG device would probably help performance (otherwise, you'll just have to wait it out - my first backup took quite a few hours - once the full backup is complete, incrementals are significantly less painful).

NineFingers

Explorer
On one of my Macs, I’ve had success since upgrading to U2... on another, I got the dreaded “start new backup” message right after completing the first backup. So, it appears to be a mixed bag for me. And, yes, the backup over SMB is WAY slower.