Include the man pages so they can be reached via the CLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Jensen

Dabbler
Right for some it is okay to not be concerned about what is in a build as they basically go back to the ole adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" However since I am the software engineer that is going to be responsible for our build and how it affects what we are doing, I do not have that luxury. Basically it is best to catalog (aka document) as much as one can so that the unexpected is less likely to happen and if it does happen you at least have some sort of road map to where it might have occurred. Further the basic build, from my understanding, is rather generic and includes files that we may never need. Thus adding unnecessary volume to our finished product that should be trimmed. Of course, if you do not know what all the files are for and what other files they relate to; you do not know which ones you will and will not need. Also being a software engineer I know that in big projects sometimes files get left in that are actually no longer needed much like code in large programs sometimes does not get removed even though it has not been used for years and most likely never will be. Which only clutters up the schematic and lends to confusion when something goes awry. I hope that explains it.

Regardless thank you very much for your suggestions, I will most definitely follow up on them. Oh and also thanks for the reference to kldfind that is the first that I have heard of that and I will be looking into that as well. Again I am new to FreeBSD/FreeNAS/OpenZFS and any information that helps me get a better view of the big picture and how all the puzzle pieces fit together is going to be immensely helpful. Hopefully some day I will be able to lend you a hand on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.