Importing external usb drive (NTFS) to FreeNAS pool

JohnB

Cadet
Hello All, I'm a new FreeNAS user and this is my first post.

Up to now I've been using a WD My Book 4TB external USB 3.0 drive, formatted NTFS, for backups. My goal has been to use the new FreeNAS Mini XL+ as my primary backup solution going forward. I created a dataset "wdmybook", connected the external drive to the front panel USB 3.0 port, and used the Import Disk feature to copy the backup files (~1.8 TB) to the newly created dataset.

I monitored the progress of the import over several hours, and estimated the completion time to be sometime around 3:00 AM. As you can see from this console output snippet it was pretty close:
Code:
Dec 24 15:46:13 freenas fuse-freebsd: version 0.4.4, FUSE ABI 7.8
Dec 24 15:46:14 freenas ntfs-3g[4315]: Version 2017.3.23 external FUSE 29
Dec 24 15:46:14 freenas ntfs-3g[4315]: Mounted /dev/da0s1 (Read-Only, label "My Book", NTFS 3.1)
Dec 24 15:46:14 freenas ntfs-3g[4315]: Cmdline options: ro
Dec 24 15:46:14 freenas ntfs-3g[4315]: Mount options: ro,allow_other,nonempty,relatime,fsname=/dev/da0s1
Dec 24 15:46:14 freenas ntfs-3g[4315]: Ownership and permissions disabled, configuration type 1
Dec 24 16:12:17 freenas smartd[3086]: Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], Temperature 42 Celsius reached critical limit of 40 Celsius (Min/Max 4
2!/42!)
/***additional temperature warnings removed to save space***/
Dec 25 00:00:00 freenas syslog-ng[2402]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
Dec 25 00:00:00 freenas syslog-ng[2402]: Configuration reload finished;
/***additional temperature warnings removed to save space***/
Dec 25 02:56:07 freenas ntfs-3g[4315]: Unmounting /dev/da0s1 (My Book)

But when I checked first thing this morning, the FreeNAS GUI was showing this pop-up message:
Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 333, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 364, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 488, in import_disk
    raise Exception("rsync failed with exit code %r" % rsync_proc.returncode)
Exception: rsync failed with exit code 23

Aside from that I could find no evidence of any problems. I remounted the external drive, ran a 'du' on the new dataset and the external drive, and found a fairly large discrepancy (the ZFS dataset being about 25 percent smaller). Of course I wouldn't expect them to match, but I didn't expect them to be that far apart either.

The questions I now have are:
1) Is there a best way to verify the fidelity of the copy?
2) Is there a faster and/or better way to copy the external drive to the ZFS pool?
3) Any other general advice?

I did search both the Internet and the forum, but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help for this FreeNAS newbie.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
ZFS has compression on by default, so there's a chance the 25% smaller size is legit, depending on what kind of data you were importing.

There's a bunch of ways to compare if the files match, personally I'd do the following:

Mount the external storage, then run a 'diff' between the two directories.

# diff -ruN /mnt/<pathtodevice> /mnt/<pathtomydir>

That command should print out any differences between the files, however it'll need to do a full-scan, so it'll take a while. You can do similar things with rsync and other utils, so by no means is this the only way.

JohnB

Cadet
ZFS has compression on by default, so there's a chance the 25% smaller size is legit, depending on what kind of data you were importing.

There's a bunch of ways to compare if the files match, personally I'd do the following:

Mount the external storage, then run a 'diff' between the two directories.

# diff -ruN /mnt/<pathtodevice> /mnt/<pathtomydir>

That command should print out any differences between the files, however it'll need to do a full-scan, so it'll take a while. You can do similar things with rsync and other utils, so by no means is this the only way.
Thanks Kris! I did consider compression, but that dataset only shows 1.14x compression ratio in the GUI, so I was still suspicious.

I ran the diff you suggested, and it bombed on an Acronis backup image file that contains a space and parentheses in the file name. That file had not been successfully imported to the FreeNAS dataset, but interestingly 4 others with the same naming scheme made it. Nevertheless I think I'm on the right path.

Thanks again!
-John

TonNAS

Cadet
Thanks Kris! I did consider compression, but that dataset only shows 1.14x compression ratio in the GUI, so I was still suspicious.

I ran the diff you suggested, and it bombed on an Acronis backup image file that contains a space and parentheses in the file name. That file had not been successfully imported to the FreeNAS dataset, but interestingly 4 others with the same naming scheme made it. Nevertheless I think I'm on the right path.

Thanks again!
-John

@JohnB Were you able to get this resolved? I encountered a similar issue this morning and have not been able to find much information on how to remedy this.

JohnB

Cadet
@JohnB Were you able to get this resolved? I encountered a similar issue this morning and have not been able to find much information on how to remedy this.
Yes, I did get it resolved. If I remember correctly, I just slogged through it in brute force fashion, manually copying directories and files that were missed. I'll review any notes I kept and will post a follow-up with any helpful information I find.