Importing a pool always starts the FTP service?

I've noticed in recent versions of FreeNAS (and it could have possibly started earlier), the FTP service is started upon importing a pool. Not only do I never use FTP, but it's not even set to autostart. I have to manually stop the FTP service any time I import a pool.

I confirmed this again on version 11.3-U4.

Is there an intentional design behind this, or something to file a bug report against?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've noticed in recent versions of FreeNAS (and it could have possibly started earlier), the FTP service is started upon importing a pool. Not only do I never use FTP, but it's not even set to autostart. I have to manually stop the FTP service any time I import a pool.

I confirmed this again on version 11.3-U4.

Is there an intentional design behind this, or something to file a bug report against?
That's a bug. The post pool import hook is calling service.reload ftp, which is calling a restart of proftpd.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It's a late-night fix, but you can try hotpatching /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/services.py with the one-line change in that PR.

The actual behavior (restarting rather than sending SIGHUP to proftpd) traces its origin back to 2010, but this particular issue was exposed because of improvements for behavior when pools are imported / exported. :)