Impaired rsync permissions support for Windows datasets

Phil1295

Explorer
What arguments are you passing to rsync?

Code:
rsync -rvpEt /mnt/<pool name>/<dataset name>/<directory>/ /mnt/<pool name>/<new dataset name>/

I also tried with
Code:
rsync -rvA
and even a redundant
Code:
rsync -rvApEt
for preserve ACL, but it doesn't work properly

By the way, even
Code:
cp -a
produces from time to time a copied file with owner root if I am logged in as root in cli

I found no way to apply the dataset permissions except when copying from PC through the LAN to the SMB share

vlj

Dabbler
Looking for a disaster recover, in case our main nas dies, Ive ran into this windows permissions issues. Its seems is still a thing. For now, in order to have a synced secondary nas server (with domain permissions included), I'll use a robocopy command, on a avaliable Windows machine. This command line will kind of permanently look for modified files(size or date) and copy to secondary nas.
Code:
start robocopy \\NAS1\Share \\NAS2\Share /MIR /SEC /j /mon:3 /R:0 /xd "System Volume Information"

In case you already have the files synced on destination, but wish to replicate perms, you can use /SECFIX argument, since with both size and date matching, robocop will not triggered those files.

I don't mind since I always have a running windows machine available. Its not related to rsync but, given the fact its related to the problem we are trying to solve, i thought it worth sharing. Maybe exists a equivalent command to be run inside Truenas, but I am too noob in unix systems to figure it that out. In fact, a lacking resource that would be very appreciated, since manually changing permissions its not viable when working with too many files. Here we also have several files and folder which special permissions were granted. I wont even remember that specials perms to be able of manually set them back again :tongue:.

Last edited: