I'm officially impressed. It works as advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.G.

Explorer
I did my first shared storage under OpenSolaris, bought the hardware and set it up. Gave up on OpenSolaris when Oracle pulled it's dog-in-a-manger act. Waited for FreeBSD and FreeNAS to get there. Just got it set up and running stably.

I was copying my first massive files transfers into my freenas box when one of two drives in a mirror started clicking and reporting sectors pending/unreadable.

The drive actually failed cold-dead during the file transfers. I was sitting here listening when it quit clicking.

The file transfers didn't stop or produce any errors at all. It just kept on ticking and a scrub shows degraded but no data errors at all.

Wow.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So I take it you will replace that failed drive soon?

R.G.

Explorer
Oh, I'm an old hand at this kind of thing. The FreeNAS machine is a new layer of backups in the string. I run son-father-grandson backups on the machines, but it's tedious to do that. I'm moving the FN machine into the backup heirarchy, and following the rules I learned on my first computing machine - which was an IBM 1620, but that's another story - (1) you have no data if it's not backed up, and (2) you have no backup if you have only one backup or if you have never tested your backup, and (3) never replacing a working system with a different (and presumably better, or why do it) system without a test period of running BOTH systems in parallel and comparing answers.

But yes, it's getting replaced. The data from the degraded mirror it was part of is already moved to the the other dataset's mirror, and all the data was already backed up on other disks.

Paranoid doesn't begin to describe what I am about the inherent perversity of machines in folding, spindling, and mutilating your data if allowed. That's one reason I was so dumbstruck that it just worked. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.