I really need some help. My bootdrive failed

Dewm

Cadet
So I had setup a home server, thought I was doing everything right.. put the freenas on a kingston flash drive.. fastforward about 3 years and 4TB worth of pictures and videos later.. the boot drive failed.

So after some digging around online, it seemed like the best option was to reinstall freenas and set it up again.

So thats what I did. I now have a fresh new version of freenas, and I haven't configured anything yet, but I need serious help. In my storage I see my main storage drives listen.. but they don't show anything for "disk size" and I don't want to wipe them.
I need help. :(

1. Do I need to do anything to the disk volumes to make them workable? WITHOUT wiping?
  2. Am I f**ked?
  3. I don't even remember how to setup the login information, it was so long ago.

I'm just so worried about wiping the data off.

Dewm

Cadet
Someone from reddit was able to help me. *breaths huge sigh of relief* don't know to delete a thread, have a good one ya'll

blueether

Patron
Someone from reddit was able to help me. *breaths huge sigh of relief* don't know to delete a thread, have a good one ya'll
This is where I hate <delete thread> or just <I have solved it>

If someone has the same worries you have not helped them even though you have now worked out an answer

chrishall77

Cadet
Could you explain how they helped you? A link or something? I am having a similar problem, only after reinstall I can see my drives and pool but can not connect to them through windows.

Redcoat

MVP
@chrishall77 Welcome to the forum!

They told him to import his pool which doesn't sound like the problem you are describing.

I suggest that you start a new thread, provide the information described in "Forum Rules" on the masthead here, and give us information on your problem in detail - version of windows, did you ever have access, if so what happened that could have affected your access, etc.

Access to SMB shares from windows and associated permissions and other settings have received significant coverage in the forum.

For instance, this tutorial: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

and this one, too: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...s-network-neighbourhood-better-than-ever.106/ , both found in the Resources section linked from the masthead, have a wealth of information that may help you.

"Search" is your friend here - an invaluable tool to get you information.

Last edited: