Huge zpool

Elliott

Dabbler
Is there any consensus on maximum size for a pool? I know the limit is technically 2^128 but I'm talking about practical and reliable storage.
I assume for highest capacity (and reliable) one would choose raidz3.
How many disks per vdev is too much?
How many vdevs is too much? Striping vdevs is just like striping disks, multiplying the probability of a failure, so maybe it would be good to add an extra level of parity here at some point. Like a stripe of raidz vdevs, where each vdev is a raidz of disks. Is this possible in ZFS?

Suppose I want 10PB in a single volume, with decent bandwidth. Using 16TB disks I could make 42 vdevs, each with 18 disks in raidz3 for 240TB usable. Is this crazy?

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The Zettabyte filesystem (ZFS) is called that for a reason.

You can probably stripe to the point you can manage to power and cool in a system... you just need to think about how you might back that amount of information up if it's all in one host.

a stripe of raidz vdevs, where each vdev is a raidz of disks. Is this possible in ZFS?
Yes that's exactly how it works.

How many disks per vdev is too much?
The consensus around here is that 12 drives in a VDEV is already at some kind of limit to logic (but there's no technical limit to going higher)... recommended is 6-10 per RAIDZ VDEV.

I assume for highest capacity (and reliable) one would choose raidz3.
If your system is well managed and monitored, there's no reason that RAIDZ2 isn't OK... with 16TB drives, you may be right that RAIDZ3 is a good idea for safety though... resilver could take a long time for 16TB.

Suppose I want 10TB in a single volume
I'm not sure if you have your units correct here... you're talking about 756 16 TB disks... that's way more than 10 TB... did you mean 10 PB? (756 x 16TB = 12 PB of raw storage... about 10 PB available in that case)

Last edited:
I run lots of systems using the Supermicro 90 bay JBODs with 8/10/12TB HGST SAS drives. I make one zpool out of each JBOD using 15 disk Z3 x 6 vdevs which gives me between 400TB-600TB usable depending on what size drives I use. Resilver times on my systems are approx 24 hours tops and they are all about 50% full atm so about 250TB. Therefore even on a full system (80% rule) I would expect no more than 48 hours to resilver. You need to carefully consider when to run your scrubs and I schedule these over the weekend to avoid disruption to users. Scrubs take a similar amount of time as resilvers.

Elliott

Dabbler
@sretalla sorry, I meant to say 10PB. I've edited the post. I think the limit of disks per vdev is all the probability of losing both of your other parity disks during the resilver, which of course increases when you have a larger disk (or more data on the disk to be exact).

Yes that's exactly how it works.
I should have made my question more clear. I'm asking about adding an additional "level" of parity. I don't think this is a common practice, and I'm not sure if it's possible. What I mean is, a tank made of raidz "super-vdevs". Each super-vdev is made of raidz vdevs. Each vdev is made of disks. I don't have enough disks available right now to show this, but here is a simple example which fails:
zpool create tank raidz mirror sd{a..b} mirror sd{c..d} mirror sd{e..f} raidz mirror sd{g..h} mirror sd{i..j} mirror sd{k..l}

Nobody in their right mind would stripe 42 disks in a RAID 0. So by the same logic, there is a risk to striping 42 vdevs together. The risk is less, since each vdev is far more reliable than a single disk. But at the same time, increased size makes failure more likely.

sretalla