BUILD HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Entry - Opteron X3216 - ECC RAM - FreeNAS compatible?

Redcoat

MVP
Please go look at this thread where Gen 10 problems with FreeNAS were discussed.

ujjain

Dabbler
Thanks. I guess I'll have to look for a different low-TDP FreeNAS server.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
As there is now a workaround for this issue, are there any other impediments for using this box for FreeNAS?

The last thing that is holding me back is from purchasing it is the Marvell 88SE9230 controller that it uses. I find it difficult to get a clear picture of risks imposed by it, moreover because information that I can be found about FreeBSD support for this controller tends to be several years old. From my understanding this controller is somewhat AHCI-compatible, but with quirks. What is currently unclear to me is:

- What is the severity of these quirks? Does it mean suboptimal performance or do they pose a serious threat to data integrity?
- Has the AHCI driver for FreeNAS been modified to support this controller at this point? I have browsed the hardware compatibility list of FreeBSD and it isn't mentioned there. On a non-English language tech forum I found that in February 2015 compatibility was still problematic. But is it still problematic today?

Information that I can find is often outdated and/or contradictory, so I hope that someone can get me up to speed with the current state of affairs with respect to the FreeNAS compatibility this controller. However, I am a bit wary of people that report that it works without problems, unknowing of a looming disaster they have not yet encountered.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
Has anyone ended up using one of these in the end?

This is a worrying post.
https://homeservershow.com/forums/t...ous-microservers/?tab=comments#comment-139015

Code:
88SE9230

This is *very* bad news for anyone not running Windows. There are a number of unresolved NCQ issues with the Marvell controller on Linux and Freebsd.

I've seen long running threads with no solutions, the issue is some commands (like scheduled SMART scans) will cause the drives to timeout when using NCQ. Not good for ZFS etc.

horizonbrave

Explorer
Are the G10 microservers now working out of the box with the latest version of FreeNAS? Thanks :)

velocity08

Dabbler
Hey All

any performance testing or feedback on HP MicroServer G10?

just curious.

""Cheers
G

tkazik

Cadet
I managed to install TrueNAS-12.0-U1 on my Microserver Gen10. X3216. The system is basically new, has on SSD 120 GB for the OS and 4x 3TB for storage. Unfortunately, I now get (same as this):

web user interface: 0.0.0.0

What I tried so far:
  • Option 8: reset defaults
  • Option 1: configure network interfaces
  • Light of NIC are flashing
Any further hints for troubleshooting? Thank you!

tkazik

Cadet
A few hours later and with a bit more knowledge about networks, it's me again.
Posting that here in the hope that I will help someone in the future:
  • Turned out I needed to configure the NICs myself
  • This guide explains it very well (follow the 'FreeNAS console' section)
  • To connect a machine (e.g. laptop) with the server, I had to configure the ethernet accordingly (ip & netmask)
  • Now I have a connection to the web user interface :)
So I can confirm that the Microserver Gen10 (with its in this Forum not so highly rated realtek NICs) is running with TrueNAS. Cheers