HP Proliant Microserver N40L - Upgrade to 11.2 Beta 1 and 2 Fails

Tony Self

Contributor
Still interested in BIOS pics? I can shutdown the machine now and reboot to BIOS.
Yes, that would be useful if you have the time.

Many thanks

rogerh

Guru
Did you see the comment on your bug report that says *no-one* can upgrade from 11.1-U6 to 11.2-BETA2? Is it worth going back to 11.1-U5 and trying again? My N54L updated from -U5 to -BETA2 with no problem.

emk2203

Guru
<head clonks on desk> Yes, @rogerh is absolutely right. NO ONE on U6 can upgrade, I read the announcement myself. Most likely, the problem is just the version. Oh well, after I valiantly fought with my 5 year old setup to get the BIOS on screen, I have now a dozen pics of my BIOS settings. That's punishment for not caring about the details of your bug description.

If you still want the pics, shoot me a PM with an e-mail, and I send them over WeTransfer. I doubt that I can attach 30 MB of image files here.

Tony Self

Contributor
Well Beta 3 has helped solve my problems.

I installed the Beta 3 image on a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB drive and tried to boot my HP N40L.
No white screen this time, but it still failed, this time with more detailed error messages
IMG_3556.jpg

Another interesting thing was, when I pressed a key to reboot, it failed to find any USB drives and told me I couldn't boot off my FreeNAS volume. I had to power down completely and restart before it would see the USB drive again.
This definitely told me the problem was related to the USB drive. So I hunted around and found an old Kingston USB drive to install the Beta 3 image on to.
With the Kingston drive I was able to boot up to the installation menu and tried to install on to one of the 16Gb Sandisk Ultra Fit drives I had been using to boot into FreeNAS 11.1, but when I rebooting, it locked up on the immediately and did not load the boot loader.
I then tried installing from the Kingston USB drive on to an older Sandisk Cruzer USB drive.
This time it was successful and booted into FreeNAS 11.2 Beta 3. Success at last.

For some reason there is a problem with the Sandisk Ultra Fit USB drives loading the new FreeNAS boot loader. It's a real shame, because these are neat little drives to have permanently installed in a server.

For information, here is a picture of the Sandisk drive I am talking about.
IMG_3559.jpg

KrisBee

Wizard
@Tony Self It's always the stupid things. Really glad to see your persistence paid off and you have a functioning system again with latest FreeNAS.

data packrat

Cadet
I'm happy that you have it running now :)
As I mentioned, I found the ultra fit devices unreliable, but didn't have the problems you did... just drives failing after a few weeks. I went back to the older, slower, Sandisk fit drives with the less rounded top, and have found them much more reliable, at about the same size. For a picture see https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/cruzer-fit

Tony Self

Contributor
I'm happy that you have it running now :)
As I mentioned, I found the ultra fit devices unreliable, but didn't have the problems you did... just drives failing after a few weeks. I went back to the older, slower, Sandisk fit drives with the less rounded top, and have found them much more reliable, at about the same size. For a picture see https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/cruzer-fit
I have not had any problems with the Ultra Fits until I got to 11.2. I have got a couple of the new USB 3.1 Ultra Fits on order. I will give them a try to see whether they behave better, otherwise I will revert to the Cruzer Fits. Thanks for the advice.

Paul Burden

Cadet
I have a similar issue in that I upgraded to 11.2 which worked. I wanted to go back to 11.1 U6 so marked that as active and now I can't reboot at all. The boot screen sits on a line cursor for a few minutes before sending a what looks like a registry dump the a message BTX halted.
This is on an HP Proliant Gen 8 Microserver with 4 3TB disks and 12 GB memory. At the moment I'm struggling to even boot from a CD image of 11.1-U6.

digity

Contributor
So, just to verify - FreeNAS 11.1u6 and 11.2 beta runs stable on HP Microserver N40L without the modified BIOS (with either USB or HDD booting)?

And I also recently started experiencing booting and freezing issues with FreeNAS/FreeBSD 11.x and Sandisk USB flash drives so it's not just y'all. It was so frustrating I just quit USB booting with FreeNAS altogether and switched to cheap and small SSD drives. Luckily USB booting is still rock solid with my ESXi and XPEnology boxes because I have nothing but SandDisk USB flash drives on hand :/

iplayinsun

Cadet
I alos have the same problem on HP N54L with Sandisk Cruzer Force 8GB.

With other memory stick, Freenas 11.2 RC2 success to clean install.

make-nz

Dabbler
Hi folks
Do you know of any FreeNas 11.2 running on a HP Gen8 G1610T Intel Celeron, by any chance?

I tried FreeNAS-11.2-RC2.iso on 4 usb sticks(boot; internal port), with only one going through.
Two issues:
  1. Took over 50min (same sticks 11.1 takes 10min)
  2. Resulted in "Can't find /boot/zfsloader"
Also in regards to usb sticks, is there a know issue with how usb sticks are recognized by the OS,
as in USB Flash, Generic Mass Storage or General UDisk?

In my case, only a ugen0.6: <IT720829 USB Fash Disk> at usbus0 worked.

Cheers

Tony Self

Contributor
I have just upgraded my HP Gen8 to 11.2 (the new release) without an issue.
I am using mirrored SanDisk Ultra Fit 3.1 32GB USB sticks to boot.

make-nz

Dabbler
Thanks Tony
Upgraded from a running FreeNas 11.1, or a fresh install with all new sticks?

Tony Self

Contributor
I was upgrading from 9.10.2-U6

make-nz

Dabbler
And I'm assuming this is your Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz, right?
I only have a HP Gen8 G1610T Intel Celeron G1610T (2.3 Ghz) Ivy Bridge (22nm), L2 Cache: 2 × 256 KB. L3 Cache: 2 MB with 12GB RAM
Anyway, how long did it take round about…

Tony Self

Contributor
I didn't actually time it, but I don't think is was more than 10 minutes.
The problem you are having sounds similar to the problem I was having with my old HP N40L when I was trying to upgrade that from 11.1 to 11.2-Beta2. It didn't like the SanDisk Ultra Fit 3.0 USB sticks. I ended up getting the older SanDisk Cruser Fit USB sticks which resolved that problem.
I used the Ultra Fit 3.1 sticks on my Gen8.
I suggest you try a different type of USB stick and see if that solves you problem.

make-nz

Dabbler
Only I'm at usb stick #4 by now ;-)
I tested the very same stick with FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE.iso and it installs in 7min, btw.
(And yes I had also issues with the Ultra Fit 3.0, too. Two died early this year)

Tony Self

Contributor
I didn't have a problem 11.1, it was when the brought the new FreeNAS boot loader in 11.2 that my problems with USB sticks started

ChipKng

Cadet
Hi!

Just to add my 2 cents to this topic:
My config: N40 server 5 HDD, 32Gb Sandisk USB drive, worked like charm with 11.1-U6. Upgrading to 11.2 via web interface worked fine, but after the first reboot it stuck at the new boot loader. I tried to boot from the 11.2 installer which also did not work on this system. I had to revert back to 11.1-U6. :(

So the new boot loader doesn't like the Sandisk USB drives...

Tony Self

Contributor
Hi!

Just to add my 2 cents to this topic:
My config: N40 server 5 HDD, 32Gb Sandisk USB drive, worked like charm with 11.1-U6. Upgrading to 11.2 via web interface worked fine, but after the first reboot it stuck at the new boot loader. I tried to boot from the 11.2 installer which also did not work on this system. I had to revert back to 11.1-U6. :(

So the new boot loader doesn't like the Sandisk USB drives...

It doesn't like the Sandisk UltraFit USB Drives. I have got mine booting on the older Sandisk CruserFit USB Drives now.