HOWTO: Set-up TMPFS in a Jail for transcoding or Zoneminder

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi Zorlack01,

Thanks for that post, that helped my ZM with just 3 cameras go from 39 MB/s constant to 2 MB/s on my NVME disk.

1615742340325.png

Thanks,
Joe

elmo putney

Cadet
<Updated POST>

I was having some issues with ZoneMinder after upgrading FreeNAS to TrueNAS 12. Removed the old jail and installed ZoneMinder Plugin 1.34.21_1. This is how I got tmpfs working from fresh install.

I'd also like to add a thank you, with this post I finally managed to get this to work.

Momos

Dabbler
@Zorlack01

I just made an account to say thank you very much for this ! :smile:
I did not even know i had an issue and have been using Zoneminder plugin with 11 cams in a Truenas 12.0 U-4 jail for more then 6 months.

Stumbled late last night by mistake across this thread and it got me thinking. I followed the steps you described and the result is:

1626083093735.png

1626083139425.png

I think it works :cool: even if i'm only judging by the graphs as i am too noob to check in any other way.

By the way, i could not find where inside the ZM plugin web UI to set those paths to /tmp but i think it just works by itself.

Thank you again !!!

This still works well on Core 13.0 U3. I am using it for plex transcode.

Can you share how you set up the path in Plex for this to use tmpfs?
Just follow these instructions carfully.

In the plex GUI menu, under Transcode, you can assign a folder for the transcoding files. This would be your mount point for the RAM disk.

Slovak

Explorer
Just follow these instructions carfully.

In the plex GUI menu, under Transcode, you can assign a folder for the transcoding files. This would be your mount point for the RAM disk.
Thanks for the pointer, I had the Zoneminder jail set up correctly, and I replicated the same for Plex plus adjusted the folder for transcoding files.