How to write and add scripts

Markeyse

Dabbler
Hi. I've been using my FreeNas server over the past few months and loving it. Soo much so that I'm adding extra software to it.

So right now I'm working on adding my library to Plex. One thing I've been trying to do is to get Intel QuickSync running on it from the Jail. I keep reading that I need to add a script, but that is the one thing I can't find so far is How to add a script. I don't know if I go to the command line or something else, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'll be greatly appreciative.

Redcoat

MVP
This thread contains scripts and indicates how to apply them with tutorial elements - I found is a good goto example.. There's also a @Spearfoot thread in the resources with a bunch of scripts that you might also find helpful.

Markeyse

Dabbler
This thread contains scripts and indicates how to apply them with tutorial elements - I found is a good goto example.. There's also a @Spearfoot thread in the resources with a bunch of scripts that you might also find helpful.

I'll check it out! Thank you!

Yorick

Wizard
The kern2011 github just was updated with some guidance for people who are not at home with CLI.

In a nutshell:

SSH in
Make the directory the script will live in
ee (or nano or vi or ...) the script and copy/paste, then save

This is as natural as “create a text file” is for GUI users, that’s why you often don’t see the steps laid out.

danb35's script can now set up QuickSync for you automatically, if you use it to create your Plex jail.

There's a YT video that walks you through QuickSync on Plex, just keep in mind it's a little outdated: Intel drivers in jail and allow_devfs_mount are NOT needed.