How to update FreeNAS 11.2 plex server from 1.13.2.5154 to 1.13.5.5291

Ixian

Patron
Did you run pkg upgrade in the jail? It looks like the pkg system isn't installed, which I believe is the default for new iocage jails.

Also you're confusing the old Warden based jls commands with iocage. To console in to an iocage jail use iocage console <jailname> where <jailname> is the name of the iocage jail you installed Plex in. If it's an older Warden jail, the command is still jexec <jailnumber> csh or replace csh with whatever shell you prefer.

And if you are using the old Warden jails and running 11.x I highly recommend migrating Plex to iocage. There are instructions all over on how to do that, it isn't hard.

Edit: Wait, it looks like you are trying to run this script from Freenas root? You need to run it inside the Plex jail itself. Either by opening a console session or running iocage exec <jailname> <commands to run in jail>

i.e. iocage exec plex pkg upgrade to update the pkg system in a jail named "Plex". Probably easier just to console in to the jail shell and do it there though.

MountainTom

Cadet
That might be the issue of why I cant get into the jail, i'm probably on the old warden jail and using the wrong command. I will try the jexec command tonight and run the pkg update && pkg upgrade multimedia/plexmediaserver in the jail see if that fixes things.

Does the PMS_Updater work in the old warden jail and does PMS_Updater also need to be run in the Plex jail?

Thanks for the help, I will probably work on migrating Plex to iocage after i get it updated (one step at a time).

Edit: I have had no luck with logging in with iocage console <jailname> my system is about 5 years old i will attempt to get in with jexec <jailnumber> csh and see if it works.

Last edited:

Ixian

Patron
My advice is move Plex first. One, it's easier than you think, and two, it'll solve your other problem. The Plex (and Plexpass) plugins available to FreeNAS 11.2 are up to date, and also kept up to date on a better schedule than the old Warden plugin was. You seem fairly new to the whole jail concept, so the plugin is what I would go with anyway, because it's just easier to deal with, and you won't need to use this script at all. You might be a few days behind brand new releases until the plugin updates.

First, install the plugin - which will create the Iocage jail for you, a Freenas plugin is just a pre-configured jail, really - assign ip, etc. (you can switch it to the one your old server is using after you are done transferring data and shut it down) and make sure to mount the media folder(s) you need Plex to access, same as your current jail. Read the FreeNAS 11.2 manual on jail & plugin creation for pointers if you get stuck on this part.

Then console in to the new jail/plugin iocage console plex, and stop the new Plex server service plexmediaserver_plexpass stop (remove the _plexpass if you aren't using that version).

Then transfer your data from your old Warden jail. The default data directory for that is still {JAIL_ROOT}/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/ I believe. Best practice instructions for how to prepare the data, etc. is located here on Plex's site. Follow those directions. Tip: when you tar up the data directory, easiest thing is to just copy it to one of your media shares since the new Plex server should also have access to that.

In the new Iocage jail/plugin the data directory is /Plex Media Server . That's where you want to un-tar your new files.

Then just start the Plex server back up service plexmediaserver_plexpass start and log in to the new instance.

It will go quicker than you think.

MountainTom

Cadet
Thanks, I will switch to iocage then, probably a better option and save me a lot of struggling and banging my head on the table in the future.
Again appreciate all the help.