How to select multiple snapshots to delete using 11.3 ?

Dariusz1989

Contributor
Hey

I'm tryying to delete lots of snapshots but shift+click does not select multiple snapshots to allow me to tick box to delete. How do I delete 100+ snapshots?

diedrichg

Wizard
There is a checkbox at the top-left of the table that will select all snapshots that are being shown with the current filter.

Edit: I noticed just today that the checkbox is not viewable on a mobile view and must either be in desktop view or use a full desktop browser (not mobile)

danb35

Hall of Famer
1581854888491.png

Dariusz1989

Contributor
Hey

yes I know of checkboxes, and I dont want to select everything visible. I want to select start one + shift + select bottom one. I have 50 pages of snapshots. Am I to understand that shift+click selection does not work and I have to tick 500 boxes 1 by 1 as to only select what I wish?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't want to select everything visible.
That's not what the top checkbox does--it checks everything in the list, on the current page and all other pages.
I have to tick 500 boxes 1 by 1 as to only select what I wish?
No, you design a filter that captures only the snapshots you want, then check the checkbox at the top.

diedrichg

Wizard
There is a lone master checkbox at the top left. Create a filter that gets you the exact snapshots you want.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are you sure it "never worked this way"... ?
I thought I was, but it appears I was mistaken. But as you've seen, it doesn't work that way in the new(er) GUI (that's been the default since 11.2 was released, over a year ago). Not sure if it's possible with the new framework that's being used for the GUI, but again, a feature request on the bug tracker would be the way to address it.

Dariusz1989

Contributor
I thought I was, but it appears I was mistaken. But as you've seen, it doesn't work that way in the new(er) GUI (that's been the default since 11.2 was released, over a year ago). Not sure if it's possible with the new framework that's being used for the GUI, but again, a feature request on the bug tracker would be the way to address it.
A year is very little time when it comes to updates of software like this... I would not be surprised if a lot of people would still use legacy gui over the new one.

Where do I post a feature requests for it?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Adrian

Contributor
A year is very little time when it comes to updates of software like this... I would not be surprised if a lot of people would still use legacy gui over the new one.
No Legacy GUI in 11.3-RELEASE. I assume maintaining it too much additional work and possibly blocking progress. To be honest, I do not miss it much, other than wishing that the new GUI made better use of screen space.

diedrichg

Wizard
11.3 bonus: datasets can be excluded from being snapshot!

I've always used the command line to destroy a range of snapshots. See the example command that follows. The "%" character goes between the first and last snapshots that define the range. You can leave out one end of the range, to imply the oldest or newest snapshot. The "-n" option is for a dry run, which lists the snapshots that would be destroyed, but doesn't actually do anything. If the list is correct, repeat the command without the "-n".

zfs destroy -n -v main/owncloud4@auto-20180414.0100-1y%auto-20190325.1402-2d

Dariusz1989

Contributor
I've always used the command line to destroy a range of snapshots. See the example command that follows. The "%" character goes between the first and last snapshots that define the range. You can leave out one end of the range, to imply the oldest or newest snapshot. The "-n" option is for a dry run, which lists the snapshots that would be destroyed, but doesn't actually do anything. If the list is correct, repeat the command without the "-n".

zfs destroy -n -v main/owncloud4@auto-20180414.0100-1y%auto-20190325.1402-2d

As much as I love code... I don't really have much willpower to re-learn zfs managment every 6 months when I update zfs & need to fix stuff... The code you posted is already doing my head :- ) I'm afraid ZFS for me is main sell due to GUI/easy of use, as I'm not commercially offering the sollution the code I learn sadly gets rusty. Even tho I have fun each time... sometimes I just don't have the time to spend on learning :- (