How to mount other NAS drives on FreeNAS

canbonbon

Cadet
Hello another newbie question. I have just installed FreeNAS on a brand new server and it is working great. I have also installed Plex Server plugin and it is also working great. I have some other NAS drives (Synology) on my Network that I would like to mount here so that I can use this Plex server to aggregate movies folder in one place. I am actually struggling to do that.

I tried to read/search online first, and have seen some postings but no definitive guide. If someone can post some instructions (or point me to them), then that would be great.

Thanks for all your help

m0nkey_

MVP
You can mount them via the CLI on the FreeNAS server. You would need to enable NFS on your Synology device and configure the share.

On the FreeNAS box, create a directory for the remote share:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/remoteshare

Then mount via NFS:
Code:
mount -t nfs <server ip>:/path/to/share /mnt/remoteshare

joeschmuck

Old Man
I did not know that. It's good to read postings from time to time.

canbonbon

Cadet
Hello, sorry to revisit the old thread. I have recently upgraded to FreeNAS 11.x. So I lost my mounts. I mounted the external drive again. I am now able to mount the external drive, however, Plex is unable to see the Media under it. I have even made the entry in the /etc/fstab file. Given permissions but nothing works. Any suggestions if there is something different about FreeNAS 11 that could be causing this? When I am on linux prompt, I can go into the share and I can see all the files. However, when I am in the PlexMedia server, and try to add media, it finds no files under the mounted folder. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Inxsible

Guru
Are you trying to access the share from FreeNAS root or from within the jail?

If within the jail, then you'd have to mount your actual dataset into the jail first.

canbonbon

Cadet
Are you trying to access the share from FreeNAS root or from within the jail?

If within the jail, then you'd have to mount your actual dataset into the jail first.

Thanks for your reply, I am not sure if I follow you. Are you saying that I need to do the mount in the Jail console? I only have one Jail and that is used for Plex. So should I open the jail shell, then inside it do the mount, etc. ? If there is any link, tutorial or manual page you can send then that would really help me. Thanks again.

anxman

Cadet
You need to 'mount' the NFS twice but then also pass it through to the jail:

1) Mount the NFS in FreeNAS to the local file system (using fstab or the mount command)
2) Share the storage into the jail using the FreeNAS UI or use iocage fstab

Fredda

Guru
i get the message that root isnt allowed to execute mount. Ideas?
You should post your exact mount command that failed, the exact error message, your FreeNAS version and where you typed the mount command (FreeNAS shell vs jail). Otherwise it is hard to have any ideas.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Also the drive format you are trying to mount.

Krautmaster

Explorer
thx for your support. I bypassed the mount ia NFS by simply syncing 2 servers via rsync over SSH directly.

thx for your support. I bypassed the mount ia NFS by simply syncing 2 servers via rsync over SSH directly.

How did you configure the ssh sync to use this to access a remote server's disk or share?

I think this could solve a similar issue I'm having.

Thanks!