How to make TrueCommand VDI work?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So the headline news (which I guess is great news for folks who have Dockerized their infrastructure, but kind of sucks for the rest of us) is that TrueCommand is now being distributed as a Docker container. But not to worry, for those of us who haven't done this, the blog post tells us there's a .VDI disk image available to run a VM. And indeed there is--so I downloaded it, moved it into a VM under Proxmox, and booted it up.

First problem: No networking. /etc/network/interfaces specifies enp0s3, but the VM has ens18. Edited that file to specify the correct interface, rebooted, now the network is up.

Second problem: TrueCommand isn't actually running--docker ps shows nothing running at all. Why would this be? Does the dedicated VM image really not have the one thing it's intended to run configured to start on boot? It seems this ought to be covered in the manual, but the manual doesn't appear to have a single word about using the disk image.

Is the .vdi really nothing more than a Debian installation with Docker installed and the TrueCommand image downloaded?

blueether

Patron
Is the .vdi really nothing more than a Debian installation with Docker installed and the TrueCommand image downloaded?
I would guess so (I might spin it up, although I already set up a Alpine Docker host):
The updated VM disk image software includes the TrueCommand container. Future updates will be simplified by the use of containers.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Edited the above because the image doesn't appear to be in the .vdi after all:
Code:
truecommand@TrueCommand:~$ docker run --detach -v "~/tcdata:/data" -p 80:80 -p 443:443 ixsystems/truecommand:latest
Unable to find image 'ixsystems/truecommand:latest' locally
latest: Pulling from ixsystems/truecommand
000eee12ec04: Pull complete
f6de7511b9b3: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:d8b66d790b3cc468e0b7b13ed5e8f6cefbfc8be19a0993bbd4c5060f9dca823f
Status: Downloaded newer image for ixsystems/truecommand:latest

At this point, I'm really wondering what the point of this image is. It's Debian with Docker, with a misconfigured network on the side (and without so much as an SSH server installed). I can't see how it fits this description:
1582544330735.png

From that description, I expect an appliance that I can import into my hypervisor, boot and run. What I got instead was a bare OS with Docker.

Last edited: