How to Install MiniDLNA on FreeNAS 9.3 (Prior to Plugin)

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Did you read this thread?

Last edited:

DupeyWango

Cadet
I have the same error.
  1. root@minidlna:/ # pkg_add -r minidlna
  2. Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/minidlna.tbz: No address record
  3. pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/minidlna.tbz' by URL
  4. root@minidlna:/ #
On a previous freenas installation MiniDLNA installed perfectly. I reinstalled Freenas and minidlna and the above error occurred. Network appears ok pings ok

I am having the same error as mickt. Worked fine twice before. The package installed correctly earlier this week May 5, 2015, but now the minidlna.tbz file is not at the location. I was able to install the package from .../packages-8.4-release/minidlna.tbz but I do not want this older version. Using a web browser it looks like /packages-9-stable/ is "404". Is there a mirror for the latest package? Can I expect the ftp site to be back up anytime soon?

mickt

Cadet
Thanks everyone for your advice.
I used as was advised earlier to use "pkg install minidlna" instead of " pkg_add -r minidlna" all went well

avalon60

Guru
I am also getting these errors after this line:
pkg_add -r minidlna

Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/minidlna.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., fi
le not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/minidlna.tbz' by URL
root@miniDLNA:/usr/local/etc #

Last edited:

avalon60

Guru
This shouldn't be here but it is.

[root@freenas ~]# pkg_add -r miniDLNA
Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-st
able/Latest/miniDLNA.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages
-9-stable/Latest/miniDLNA.tbz' by URL
[root@freenas ~]#

DupeyWango

Cadet
I used as was advised earlier to use "pkg install minidlna" instead of " pkg_add -r minidlna" all went well

This was the solution I was looking for. "pgk_add -r minidlna" did not work, "pkg install minidlna" did the trick. Thank you all, I signed up to the forums for this question and it was answered quickly.

avalon60

Guru
Thanks but I get this now:

[root@freenas ~]# pkg install miniDLNA
Updating local repository catalogue...
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
pkg: repository local has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/digests.txz: No such file or directory
pkg: Unable to update repository local
All repositories are up-to-date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'miniDLNA' have been found in the
repositories
[root@freenas ~]#

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
The commands are case sensitive and I'm pretty sure "miniDLNA" needs to be in lowercase, try with "minidlna" to see if it works ;)

avalon60

Guru
I used or typed miniDLNA because that how it was typed at the beginning of this tutorial. I tried to keep it as how it is written so as not to cause errors, but this time it did.

Anyway I tried it all in lowercase as suggested, and got this back

root@miniDLNA:/ # pkg_add -r minidlna
Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-st
able/Latest/minidlna.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages
-9-stable/Latest/minidlna.tbz' by URL
root@miniDLNA:/ #

EDIT:
I deleted the existing miniDLNA jail, then re created it as mindlna.
From there all went well and the pkg was downloaded

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
Try "pkg install minidlna"

avalon60

Guru
See my edited post above.
I did use "pkg install minidlna" and all went well.

Thanks

avalon60

Guru
Ok, now I am at stage 23, and when I type or enter this line:

23) Type "ee minidlna.conf" and you will now be editing the minidlna.conf file

I get this:
^[ (escape) menu ^y search prompt ^k delete line ^p prev li ^g prev page
^o ascii code ^x search ^l undelete line ^n next li ^v next page
^u end of file ^a begin of line ^w delete word ^b back 1 char ^z next word
^t top of text ^e end of line ^r restore word ^f forward char
^c command ^d delete char ^j undelete char ESC-Enter: exit
=====line 1 col 0 lines from top 1 ============================================

24) Scroll down to line 18 where it says

How do I get to line 18 etc

Edit:
I have looked at the minidlna folder/directory in windows and there doesn't seem to be a minidlna.conf file there???
This the list of files in the said folder:
[root@freenas /mnt/WinShare/minidlna]# ls
.cshrc boot libexec rescue tmp
.profile dev media root usr
COPYRIGHT etc mnt sbin var
bin lib proc sys
[root@freenas /mnt/WinShare/minidlna]#

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
The folder you should be in is /usr/local/etc in the jail which is running MiniDLNA. This is not the folder shared with windows. Go back to the FreeNAS shell, either via the GUI or via SSH, and move to your jail as follows. Typing jls ( followed by return but I won't keep repeating this) will give you a list of jails, but I think you said your DLNA jail was called minidlna. So type jexec minidlna /bin/csh. This will put you in a shell environment (csh) and in the context of the root folder of the jail minidlna. Now type cd /usr/local/etc and this should put you in the minidlna folder which is supposed to hold minidlna.conf. Type ls to see if it does. I think mine only had minidlna.conf.sample so I copied this (cp minidlna.conf.sample minidlna.conf) and edited the resulting minidlna.conf file using my favourite editor. But you can then type ee minidlna.conf with some hope of getting to the next step.

avalon60

Guru
Thanks for the clarification above, as almost all the other steps went well except for the testing section

OK Scrub this part
root@minidlna:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # service minidlna onestart
Starting minidlna.
eval: -P: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/minidlna: WARNING: failed to start minidlna
root@minidlna:/usr/local/etc/rc.d #

I can only assume that eval: -P is in this line: command_args="-R -P $pidfile -u $minidlna_uid -f /usr/local/etc/minidlna.conf

I have been through the minidnla.conf file and checked the changes , and now it appears that the service is running, or so it says.

And after stopping the service:
Ok in the following section it says:
38) Verify the MiniDLNA is no longer running by testing your DLNA Device (WMP for me)

Well it would be WMP for me as well, but how do I test it?

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
Get WMP to look for your DLNA server while it is running, and perhaps play something. Then check after the DLNA server is turned off that WMP can't see it, or at least if it is perhaps cached (who knows?) that WMP can't play any files while it is off.

avalon60

Guru
Well I have got mindlna working ok now, and it is picked by my android tablet. So now I can get my laptop back and stream the music to my android tablet.

Thanks to those who steered me in the right direction and helped.

John Dvoracek

Dabbler
Thank you for this guide. I had it working for about two weeks, then it stopped. Something must have gotten updated and then out of sequence with dependencies. Should I try deleting and reinstalling the entire jail, or does this message suggest an easier fix? TIA!

root@MiniDLNA:/usr/local/etc # service minidlna start
Starting minidlna.
Shared object "libavcodec.so.55" not found, required by "libavformat.so.55"
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/minidlna: WARNING: failed to start minidlna

I just remembered - I did the base freenas 9.3 install, then minidlna, and it worked. A few days ago I applied an available update to freenas, and that is when minidlna broke, so maybe others will run into this issue. Help appreciated. TIA.

Last edited:

avalon60

Guru
I gave miniDLNA a fair run over a week or so, but for some reason it kept dropping the connection between my android tablet and FreeNAS, even though I have a pretty good wireless coverage round my house.
I had to keep restarting minidlna regardless of the fact it was showing as running, and after a while I tried the Plexmediserver plugin, and I must say it has been flawless at keeping the connection and plays media files without any problem

John Dvoracek

Dabbler
I gave miniDLNA a fair run over a week or so ... after a while I tried the Plexmediserver plugin

Thanks and I installed the plugin. After some grief I got it working. The Plexmediaserver DLNA piece does not support playlists, and that is a huge missing feature for me. Now does the MiniDLNA support them? I never got that far so honestly it may not either, but it does on my Netgear R7000 router, so hopefully someone will advise me how to get it going again.

avalon60

Guru
[QUOTE=" The Plexmediaserver DLNA piece does not support playlists, and that is a huge missing feature for me. Now does the MiniDLNA support them? .[/QUOTE]

ThePlexmediaserver does support playlists. Select a media file, then click the 3 small bars with a plus sign on them, on the left side menu. There you can add files to a playlist.

I haven't used that feature yet so I can't say how good it is.

Anyway, this thread is about minidlna, so apologies to the OP for hijacking it.