How to Install MiniDLNA on FreeNAS 9.3 (Prior to Plugin)

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Static everywhere. My network is 192.168.0.0 with 255.255.255.0 mask.

My ADSL box address is 192.168.0.254 and the DHCP range is .31 to .39 so no conflict with the jail range.

jails config:
- DHCP: box not checked
- network: 192.168.0.0/24
- start address: 192.168.0.61
- end address: 192.168.0.69

minidlna jail:
- DHCP: box not checked [edit: I've tested to check it but no luck]
- address: 192.168.0.61
- network: /24
- gateway: I've tested both 192.168.0.254 and empty

edit²: joeschmuck started a private conversation, I'll post here the solution for everyone if we found one.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
In the minidlna jail, what does "ifconfig" return?

Bidule0hm

So, after some more debugging joeschmuck had to leave but before he advised me to reboot and, if no changes, to create another jail to do some testing.

Reboot, no changes. New jail "testa" with the same parameters, no changes. New jail "testb" with DHCP checkbox checked, no changes. New jail "testc" with same parameters but VIMAGE checkbox unchecked, bingo! I can ping google.com. Well, I had already tried to uncheck VIMAGE in the minidlna jail config, but only after her creation...

So, what I've learned? checking and unchecking checkboxes in jails configs doesn't seem to really change the config. If you want to debug something it's far better to create a new jail for each different setting.

I don't really know why VIMAGE is the source of the problem, nor if it was present (and checked) on the 9.2 version. If someone can explain what is VIMAGE exactly and what is its purpose, he is welcome.

A big thanks to joeschmuck for the help!

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you were able to get through but I don't know why VIMAGE unchecked would cause this kind of reaction, it is acting as if NAT were also checked. What version of FreeNAS are you running? I'd like to check this in my virtual machine to see if there is some issue with FreeNAS.

Hint: After you change the Jail setup (VIMAGE checked or unchecked), stop and restart the jail to make the changes work, you didn't need to create new jails each time but at least you were willing to do the work troubleshooting the problem vice just leaving it in someone else's hands.

EDIT: I did some further checking and this does not appear to be proper behavior so I submitted a bug report. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/7746

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

I run FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501241715 ;)

I don't remember if I've restarted the jail for this test. At the beginning I did not restart but then I started suspecting that the settings were not applied if I didn't restart the jail. But as I was unsure I prefered to create a new jail for each test, 100% sure that way and it's very easy to delete them after.
But, correct me if I'm wrong, it isn't marked anywhere in the documentation that we need to restart a jail to apply the settings. And for the others things, the GUI handle the restart if needed when we change the settings (for example the SMART or UPS service) it is then expected that the behavior must be consistent accross the whole GUI, no? Maybe I should open a ticket (feature or bug?) for this?

Note that I was able to ping the others pc of my LAN from the jail when I further tested, but I just can't ping the internet, so the bug title isn't exactly right, can you change it? edit: nevermind, I commented directly on the ticket.

Edit: yeah, I've tested and stopping, editing the settings, then starting the jail; it works at applying the modifications, no need to create new jails.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not sure how you tested but I was unable to ping my local network (router) with VIMAGE checked. This only happens with the FreeNAS software with came out on the Jan 24. I'm certain the team will get to work on it but I suspect it was the security fixes with Django which caused the problem, unless they did something else that wasn't documented.

Bidule0hm

I just did "ping theIpAddress" in the jail shell.

I didn't tested to ping the router but I was able to ping my desktop (192.168.0.11) and my laptop (192.168.0.12), so at first glance I would have been able to ping the router too (192.168.0.254).

Bidule0hm

Sorry for the double post but I have another bug... not as critical though.

I had to reboot and even if autostart is checked the jail doesn't start. I have to manually start it. Any idea on what is wrong?

Edit: awww, sorry, it has started, it has just took some (very long) time.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Explorer
Just installed on 9.3-STABLE-201502110455, works flawlessly.

Great job Joe!

nivarox

Dabbler
Before I start I just wanted to ask for the right procedure if I already have separate datasets for movies and music. should I add both as storage to the jail and mention them in the list?

Bidule0hm

Yes, I've the same configuration. Just add both to the jail and to the minidlna conf file ;)

FSarti

Cadet
Hi,
I'm a FreeNAS noob but managed to get things installed and working as far as I need them. I'm having one issue and I don't know if it's FreeNAS/MiniDLNA related or if it may be something on my end.
MiniDLNA is running and shows on my clients but I can't get my saved .m3u playlists to show up, save for my XBox360. Everything has static IP's and I'm running FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 and MiniDLNA 1.1.1_5 installed via GUI with the PBI file.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance..

Bidule0hm

This topic is on manually install MiniDLNA (not via the GUI plugins tab) on FreeNAS version 9.3 (not 9.2.*) so your question is totally off-topic. Can you create a new topic for this question please?

dsinwv

Cadet
Joe, the article on installing MiniDLNA was very helpful. It took me two tries to get it to work right, but everything is fine now.

One minor correction to the install process. In the last step to make MiniDLNA start when the jail is running, the command needs to have single quotes surrounding "YES" or the double quotes get stripped out when the line is added to rc.conf.

Thanks for a clear, simple install process.

strelok

Dabbler
Hello !

Thank you very much for great instruction !

I have one question.

When I connect to my DLNA server I see default catalogues (All Videos/Photos/... etc)

Is it possible to delete default catalogues ?

I would like to see only my own catalogues that was added to /media.

Lyubomir B

Cadet
Before I start I just wanted to ask for the right procedure if I already have separate datasets for movies and music. should I add both as storage to the jail and mention them in the list?

Yes you will need to link correctly your datasets to the jail. For instance i used the already available /media folder into the minidlna jail and created subfolders reflecting my dataset configuration. Movies / Music / Fotos, etc.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Hello. I have been trying to set to this up as well so I can access my media from Xbox360, PS4 and other devices as well. There appears to be some problem at the point of trying to install the minidlna package. After I type the commands nothing happens, well nothing I can see anyway. After hitting enter a message simply prompts for help with pkg install.

In the jails config field it shows the Collection URL as http://download.freenas.org/latest/RELEASE/x64/jails. is this correct?

My IP address is set for DHCP for both the Jails config and the MiniDLNA /media.

When I try to to utilise shell as per the instructions on the first page of this post there appears to be extreme delay with key responsiveness. Some keys work on one clock and others I have to click 3-4 times.

Appreciate some advice.

lord.anonymous

Dabbler
Hello everybody,

I follow all steps as mentionned in the first post, il works fine, but I've a problem... After a long time, minidlnad service in the jail is on "nanslp" state (I used "top"), and it doesn't respond.

How to fix that?

Thanks!

mickt

Cadet
I have the same error.
  1. root@minidlna:/ # pkg_add -r minidlna
  2. Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/minidlna.tbz: No address record
  3. pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/minidlna.tbz' by URL
  4. root@minidlna:/ #
On a previous freenas installation MiniDLNA installed perfectly. I reinstalled Freenas and minidlna and the above error occurred. Network appears ok pings ok