How to Install MiniDLNA on FreeNAS 9.3 (Prior to Plugin)

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Ziggy
My only thought would be to do a reinstall.

I do have a few questions though:
1) Was FreeNAS 11 an upgrade from a previous version of FreeNAS or was it a clean install?
2) Did the jail exist prior to installing MiniDLNA on FreeNAS 11?
3) If you have not destroyed the jail yet, can you check to see what version of FreeBSD is running in the jail?
4) What exact version of FreeNAS are you running?
5) When you destroy the pool and recreate it, does the problem return?
6) Have you rebooted FreeNAS? This could "fix" the issue for a while.
7) Ensure you have a backup of your configuration file. Now I'm grasping at somethign that might not allow the configuration to be saved such as a failing USB Flash drive, so if you boot from a flash drive and the problem can be reproduced, I'd try a new/different flash drive and see if the problem persists.

What I suspect is there is a problem with the jail not MiniDLNA just because MiniDLNA has previously been working fine and the GUI shot you have above is actually a FreeNAS thing. A bug report might be in order but it would be nice to have more data or at least be able to reproduce it.

Hope that gives you something to think about.

Ziggy

Contributor
@Ziggy
My only thought would be to do a reinstall.

I do have a few questions though:
1) Was FreeNAS 11 an upgrade from a previous version of FreeNAS or was it a clean install?
2) Did the jail exist prior to installing MiniDLNA on FreeNAS 11?
3) If you have not destroyed the jail yet, can you check to see what version of FreeBSD is running in the jail?
4) What exact version of FreeNAS are you running?
5) When you destroy the pool and recreate it, does the problem return?
6) Have you rebooted FreeNAS? This could "fix" the issue for a while.
7) Ensure you have a backup of your configuration file. Now I'm grasping at somethign that might not allow the configuration to be saved such as a failing USB Flash drive, so if you boot from a flash drive and the problem can be reproduced, I'd try a new/different flash drive and see if the problem persists.

What I suspect is there is a problem with the jail not MiniDLNA just because MiniDLNA has previously been working fine and the GUI shot you have above is actually a FreeNAS thing. A bug report might be in order but it would be nice to have more data or at least be able to reproduce it.

Hope that gives you something to think about.

1) Clean install, but I'm on nightlies.
2) Yes.
3) 11.1
4) 11-MASTER-201708030630 (tho I might have been on 201707250436 as I think one of the things I did was to upgrade to see if that would fix it?).
5) Haven't tried that yet. Do you mean the pool everything is sitting on or the share I'm trying to get the MiniDLNA jail to read?
6) Yes. No joy.
7) I have. The 'USB' is the internal ssd of the FreeNAS Mini.

joeschmuck

Old Man
5) Sorry, I didn't actually destroying your entire pool, I meant to say to destroy the dataset where all your jails reside. If you have more jails then you may not desire to do this. Anyway you would go throguh and delete your jails and setup, destroy the jail dataset, recreate the jail dataset, recreate your jails, cross your fingers it all works.

But try this first:
The fact that FreeNAS is not saving the configuration makes me think that you should maybe roll back to an earlier version of FreeNAS and see if it works fine (assuming you have a previous boot environment on your SSD). If that works then I'd ensure you create a backup of your configuration file and then upgrade to FreeNAS 11.0-U2 Stable. If that works then you may have things working. If it fails then I'd install FreeNAS 11.0-U2 from the ISO and then restore the config file. If you wanted to, you could disconnect the SSD and use a USB Flash drive for testing. Better safe I always say. Okay, I don't always say it, but I do say "Time to go stir the pot" almost daily. I love getting people tied up in knots and forcing them to do their jobs.

Ziggy

Contributor
All I can say is you're a saint joeschmuck, such is your patience and will to help.
I rolled back to an earlier boot environment - 11-MASTER-20170722-433 - because even my shares had become unavailable to network clients for some reason. This a nightly. Given what's to follow, I may take your advice and install a stable version cos I have done as you suggested in deleting the jails dataset, re-installed etc, but have hit a deadend. Even tho the GUI and the shell show an ip - the latter via ifconfig:
upload_2017-8-11_8-6-12.png

the jls command produces no output under the tabs/headings (see second line in screenshot above). The 'jexec MiniDLNA /bin/csh' command generates 'jexec: jail "MiniDLNA" not found'. My only misgiving in having to re-install a stable os version is I presume I will lose my CentOS VM in that a config file won't reinstall that - or will it? if the answer is no, I'd like to figure out a way to clone it. Maybe CloneZilla from within a basic re-install? Haven't figured out how snapshots work so I suppose that's an option?

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-11_8-8-1.png
    upload_2017-8-11_8-8-1.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 401

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Ziggy
I think you need to get some sleep before continuing.

The screenshot you provided looks like you are already in the MiniDLNA jail. You would not have a jail within that jail. The key sign here is "root@MiniDLNA". If you had just opened the shell then you would see "[root@freenas ~]", notice the brackets. You don't have those brackets in the above screen shot. At this point, if you were still at this screen I would ask you to type exit to exit out of the jail.

I can't address the issues with other problems you have had but I really wish you some good luck.

Ziggy

Contributor
Oops! More sleep or more neurons? Doh! etc. It all made sense when you pointed out I was already in the jail shell. Don't know why that didn't click before. The good news is I followed on from there and recreated the jail and thankfully it's now been working for over a week without problems. I've stopped updating the nightlies - mainly because updates kept breaking my CentOS VM - and I await 11.1, the release of which has been put back to early October before crossing the fingers and hoping nothing breaks in the upgrade. In any case, with your excellent tutorial there should be no difficulty - AWOL neurons aside - to recreate the jail from scratch. Thanks again joeschmuck.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad things are working again.

joeschmuck

Old Man
While I do not mind assisting you in fixing the problem it appears that you did not read the first posting from begining to end, I put a bit of effort into it to make it sailor proof (I was a sailor). Try again and if you still have a problem, post your question again.

emk2203

Guru
While I do not mind assisting you in fixing the problem it appears that you did not read the first posting from begining to end, I put a bit of effort into it to make it sailor proof (I was a sailor). Try again and if you still have a problem, post your question again.
That's ... one of the most polite versions of rtfm I ever had the honor to read. Thank you for brightening my weekend.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hi joeschmuck,

I can confirm it is still working this way on 11.0-U4 ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks for the confirmation. I would expect this needs to be verified again once 11.1 comes out just to update the instructions for the new GUI.

IceBoosteR

Guru
I can report a very strange behaviour.
So starting the jail with the WebGUI, no problem - the minidlna service comes up when the jail was started.
When I start the jail with the mobile app (yes my friends - there is a mobile app!) the jail is started, but not with the minidlna service running.
I could not explain this to myself, as the application is also accesssing the API from WebGUI so I do not understand why the service is not started. Any suggestions?
This was working fine on 9.10.X

Rgds,
Ice

HAXIS

Dabbler
Hello all.

I've finally managed to get MiniDLNA installed and running on FreeNAS 11.0-U4. Everything runs fine at first, but then at some point, it crashes out:

Code:
[2017/11/17 11:29:08] playlist.c:259: warn: Finished parsing playlists.															 
[2017/11/17 21:33:05] upnpevents.c:423: fatal: upnpevents_selectfds: file descriptor 2482 too big for select, limit is 1024 

Can anyone advise on this error, and what I might do to fix it?

Thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hello all.

I've finally managed to get MiniDLNA installed and running on FreeNAS 11.0-U4. Everything runs fine at first, but then at some point, it crashes out:

Code:
[2017/11/17 11:29:08] playlist.c:259: warn: Finished parsing playlists.															
[2017/11/17 21:33:05] upnpevents.c:423: fatal: upnpevents_selectfds: file descriptor 2482 too big for select, limit is 1024

Can anyone advise on this error, and what I might do to fix it?

Thanks.
This problem is covered here several times however try something to see if this fixes it and please report back the results...

Add a tunable into "Loader" called "kern.maxfiles" and with a value of "50000". Reboot and see if that fixes it, I hope so and then I can update the first posting to include this data.

urdel62

Explorer
Hi,

I get some issues with accessing data for the jail.
I had permission denied first but by changing permissions in 774 for the media folder I have this now in the log :
upload_2017-11-19_22-46-32.png

It is said that there is no files by scnaning /media/
Therefore there is as we can see :
upload_2017-11-19_22-48-0.png

Does anyone has an idea ?

Thanks,

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi,

I get some issues with accessing data for the jail.
I had permission denied first but by changing permissions in 774 for the media folder I have this now in the log :
View attachment 21507
It is said that there is no files by scnaning /media/
Therefore there is as we can see :
View attachment 21508
Does anyone has an idea ?

Thanks,
What version of FreNAS are you using?
The only problem I see is MiniDLNA is telling you that it doesn't recognize any files. From within the jail what files are listed under "/media/Films/" and "/media/Series" ? Do you have any media? What are the file extensions?

urdel62

Explorer
What version of FreNAS are you using?
The only problem I see is MiniDLNA is telling you that it doesn't recognize any files. From within the jail what files are listed under "/media/Films/" and "/media/Series" ? Do you have any media? What are the file extensions?
Hi,
thanks for the answer.
It's FreeNAS-11.1-RC1.
I have different types of extensions as follow (mkv, mp4 ...) :
upload_2017-11-20_21-3-11.png

In my previous install (which was freenas 9 I think ) those same files were recognized.

THanks,

joeschmuck

Old Man
I did check out MiniDLNA on FreeNAS 11.1-RC1 and it appeared to work for me. It's odd that your files are not being recognized. Can you go back and recheck the rc.d file to ensure that is correct, or better yet, delete your MiniDLNA jails and start again to rule out any accidental typo. Also, how are you doing your shares from the GUI? This could also be an issue so try to share only one directory with video content and see if that works.

urdel62

Explorer
I did check out MiniDLNA on FreeNAS 11.1-RC1 and it appeared to work for me. It's odd that your files are not being recognized. Can you go back and recheck the rc.d file to ensure that is correct, or better yet, delete your MiniDLNA jails and start again to rule out any accidental typo. Also, how are you doing your shares from the GUI? This could also be an issue so try to share only one directory with video content and see if that works.
Thanks,
Ok I'll recheck rc.d and restart jail install if necessary.
Concerning the share, /media on the jail is mounted on my Media folder on Freenas. dlna user (the default run user if I'm not wrong) is in the Media group I created within the jail with the same GID that Media group ( owner of my Media storage ) on Freenas.
Whitin the jail /media is owned by Media group with 774 permissions.
Seems ok for you ?
Thanks again ,